Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cousi2344
Blue Screen Again
Views: 7,718
Message 1 of 15

0xc0000021a Error On Restart

My Ideapad y480 has been having some severe issues lately related to booting. Whenver I try to reboot my computer (which runs Windows 8) I get the Windows 8 version of the BSOD (the frowny face screen). It tells me that my computer has encountered an error and needs to shut down, and it gave me an error code of 0xc0000021a. Sometimes the computer will boot perfectly normally, but around 75% of the time it crashes like this. It seems to always happen after any major changes are made (Windows updates, updates for games, etc.). The only way for me to get into my computer again is to do a system restore to before any changes were made. If a new restore point is made and any change whatsoever has been made, I often get another error message, and the system restore fails. These problems don't occur 100% of the time, but its very hard to use the computer when I can't update programs or Windows without issues. I looked other places online and a few of the pointed towards the hard drive failing or reinstalling the OS, but I thought I should ask for any less drastic solutions that could work.  Can anyone point me in the right direction or tell me how I could fix it?

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 7,696
Message 2 of 15

Re: 0xc0000021a Error On Restart

Try scanning for virus. Then check your system files for corruption by typing the following (without the quotation mark) at an elevated command prompt: "sfc /scannow".

Cousi2344
Blue Screen Again
Views: 7,679
Message 3 of 15

I just attempted to do a full scan for viruses using my Avast, and the scan refuses to make any progress, it just hangs at 0% despite being running for over an hour. Would this be a symptom of a virus, or is my Avast just not working properly?

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 7,666
Message 4 of 15

That could be possible. Avast may no longer be effective since the virus is infecting the OS. Try using another one and see if it can finish the scan.

Cousi2344
Blue Screen Again
Views: 7,657
Message 5 of 15

I downloaded AVG, and while it found a couple of things with a full scan, nothing seemed to be major enough to have caused these problems. I tried using sfc/scannow, and it told me it found some corrupted files. It said not all of them were fixed, but more info on them could be found in the CBS.log. What do I do from here?

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 7,646
Message 6 of 15

Try looking at this post. Concentrate on how to run dism command.

Cousi2344
Blue Screen Again
Views: 7,634
Message 7 of 15

I ran the dism, and I got an error code, 0x800f081f. It also says that the "source files cannot be found."

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 7,628
Message 8 of 15

That means some files are damage, missing and dism is prevented from making the repair. Can you try doing a restore? Temporarily disable AVG and use windows defender to scan the hdd.  Then repeat the sfc/ scannow and dism commands.

Cousi2344
Blue Screen Again
Views: 7,609
Message 9 of 15

I tried doing a restore point and a quick scan, since I didn't have enough time today for a full scan. I then tried the scc and dism commands, but the same thing happened. I'll be trying a full scan tonight, unless you would suggest something different.

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 7,604
Message 10 of 15

Try that for the mean time. Worse scenario solution is to restore the os to factory default with recreating the set of partitions for OKR. So to prepare, try to backup all your important files.

Top Kudoed Authors