Message 1 of 5

2nd HDD Ultrabay drive detected in BIOS but NOT in Windows/File Explorer

I have the Lenovo Ideapad Y410p
I upgraded/installed to DDR3 16GB Memory,
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5" SATA III SSD as the main drive,
1TB HDD SATA II HDD via Ultrabay for storage
9 cell 7800mAh battery
With Windows 10 Pro x64

I installed the SSD as main and HDD in ultrabay,using SATA WIRE 3.0 to copy HDD drive to SSD. Everything worked great... SSD & HDD show up.
See attached Screenshots.

OK, so I take out the HDD ultrabay so I can run some benchmarks on the SSD, then when I put the Ultrabay with the 1TB HDD back in and it won't show up in Windows??? Took it out and put it back in 3 times now and no joy... it worked the first time I booted up both the SSD & Ultrabay drives... you can see that in my screenshots I posted.
Any ideas what happened?

Link to picture/image

Link to picture/image

Link to picture/image

Adding to my post above, when I went into BIOS setup, the HDD shows up there. So why isn't it showing up in File exploer with the SSD?

Link to picture/image

Link to picture/image

Link to picture/image

Lenovo Ideapad Y410p - Intel Core i7 4700MQ - DDR3 16GB Memory - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5" SATA III SSD +24G SSD - 1TB HDD SATA II HDD via Ultrabay - DVDRW via Ultrabay - Single/SLI Nvidia 750M + Intel 4600 HD - 9 cell 7800mAh battery - Windows 10 Pro x64
jack61
HDMI
Views: 1,172
Message 2 of 5

Re: 2nd HDD Ultrabay drive detected in BIOS but NOT in Windows/File Explorer

Wow! I got no help at all on my issues. None! I manage to solve it myself... thank you!

Lenovo Ideapad Y410p - Intel Core i7 4700MQ - DDR3 16GB Memory - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5" SATA III SSD +24G SSD - 1TB HDD SATA II HDD via Ultrabay - DVDRW via Ultrabay - Single/SLI Nvidia 750M + Intel 4600 HD - 9 cell 7800mAh battery - Windows 10 Pro x64
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,165
Message 3 of 5

@jack61 wrote:

Wow! I got no help at all on my issues. None! I manage to solve it myself... thank you!

Please keep in mind that this is a peer to peer help venue.  The reason your posting went unanswered is most likely due to the readers thus far haven't experienced the problem you are having.  Although Lenovo Support visits the forum, there is no guarantee that they will visit every message posted.

If you would like, please share your solution as it may help someone else with a similar problem.

Thanks !

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

jack61
HDMI
Views: 1,138
Message 4 of 5

I'm still very surprised that no one has experience the problem I had or a solution to it... anyways, here is how I fixed it.

The HDD in the ultrabay was booting fine when it was the main HD. And it showed up the first time I put it in the ultrabay. Then when I took it out for some benchmarks, it wouldn't show up again in File Explorer, Device Manager or Disk Management (only in BIOS) when I put it back in ultrabay until I disabled USB booting in BIOS. I looked all over the web for a solution with no joy, then finally figured it out when looking in BIOS. Go figure.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,125
Message 5 of 5

Thanks for posting back with an update !

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors