Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ntuxal
Paper Tape
Views: 345
Message 1 of 2

36 Hour Disk Repair

So the other day i was on my Laptop wich is a Y510P the SLI version, with 16 gb mem. And it was running really slow for no reason. I had Chrome opened and i was watching youtube videos. Suddenly it started to stutter really bad, sometimes my mouse wouldnt even move. I finally got into the task manager to see what was up and i was using 100% Disk. No idea why and tryed to get into the reasource manager to see what was using and all it said was System was using it and chrome. So i decided to do a hard reset by holding in the button and getting to power down.

I go to turn my laptop back on and its stuck at the lenovo screen and the loading symbol for at least a half hour before i decided to try somthing different. So i boot into the recovery mode using the boot menu and it says i have disk errors and that it needs to fix them and it was going to take more than an hour. Well that was almost 36 hours ago. I dont want to damage the machine any further than what is already dont. but what could be the cause of this?

I have not done anything with the computer except take it up on an airplane with a carry on that i was very careful with. I have not done anything to the laptop except install software and delete software. Not sure why there are disk errors or how it happened. And im not sure where to go from here. as i would like to not send my laptop somewhere.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 316
Message 2 of 2

Re: 36 Hour Disk Repair

hi Ntuxal,

Welcome to the Lenovo Forums.

From your observation, you're probably on a chkdsk repair screen where it fixes corrupted entries.

Chkdsk usually runs at Windows Startup if it was scheduled or if there are suspected problems with the OS partition (eg. file corruption, bad sectors on the HDD, etc.). It's also unusual that it runs for 36hrs as opposed to less than 15mins if there were no errors found on the hard drive.

For meantime, let the disk repair continue and if ever the machine boots back into Windows, I recommend you check the results from the event viewer (see this guide). In addition, you can verify the HDD"s health by running a test using one of the following:

Lenovo Storage Quick Test (64-bit)

HD Tune

- http://www.hdtune.com/faq_1.html

If the disk repair frezzes / hangs or doesn't respond, you might be having issues on the HDD or some Windows system files that were fixed are already corrupted. In this case, you have a few options:

1. If you have created a recovery drive, you can run the system file checker to fix corrupted system files, or Refresh / Reset Windows. (see this guide)

2. If you have not created a recovery drive, you may need to press the OneKey Recovery button to restore the system to factory setting (note that all data will be wiped).

- Link to picture

If none of the above works, you may need to contact lenovo and report the issue as you may need to send the unit for service.

Support phone list

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors