Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mcfaddenator
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,328
Message 1 of 10

ATI vs. NVidia?

I am curious about the performance of the base Y710 vs. the higher-end Y510. Since they have the same processors (I will neglect the different resolutions, and say they both have 1280x800), which is a better chip for 3D gaming and HD watching: the ATi Mobility Radeon HD 2600 XT, or the NVidia 8600M GT? Both are clocked at 256MB.

BTW any info on whether these are GDDR3 or DDR2 will be appreciated. Thanks!
mcfaddenator
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,310
Message 2 of 10

Re: ATI vs. NVidia?

shameless bump.
wjli2
Bit Torrent
Views: 3,297
Message 3 of 10

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/465

although this review is based on the desktop version, there are many similar comparisions.....

Message Edited by wjli2 on 05-25-2008 05:18 AM
mcfaddenator
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,237
Message 4 of 10

But, is the y710 at 1280x800 any faster/slower than the y510 at 1280x800? Since they have the same T5550 chip, and same HD speed, are they close?
wjli2
Bit Torrent
Views: 3,222
Message 5 of 10

some of friends say that the Nvidia chip should be bit faster, but ATI got more on board hardware decoder for MP4 and HD movies... but your CPU chip should be the limiting factor and not your video card.
Highlighted
Retired Guru
Views: 3,202
Message 6 of 10

mcfaddenator, if I had a moment to choose, I'd get the 8600GT - it's more powerfull. In HD video almost any processor in tandem with nvidia 8xxx or radeon x2xxx will be OK. The limiting factor for games will be not the processor but the videocard.
//help will save the world
mcfaddenator
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,168
Message 7 of 10

Since I keep getting conflicting comments, should I call it near-equal?

BTW how much of a difference is there between the 256MB and 512MB versions off the ATi?
Retired Guru
Views: 3,150
Message 8 of 10

Hard to tell, really.
De juro they are not near equal. De facto they are.
De juro 8600GT is more powerfull, bat in fact, really, both of them are too slow to play games comfortable and both are enough to watch HD-Video.
//help will save the world
fire268
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,758
Message 9 of 10

Check out this nice site that explains the various notebook mobile graphics chips:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html

Also, please be aware that the Y710 does NOT come with the ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT, it comes with the HD 2600 (at least for the one I got Y710 4054-2au).  The difference in core clocks is 700 MHz vs 500 MHz.  According to the website the 2600 XT competes with the Nvidia 8600 GT (which is probably why you are trying to compare the two) and the HD 2600 competes with the 8600 GS.

Having said that, I'm left scratching my head as to why the Y710 (gaming models) whould have a lesser video card (HD 2600) than the Y510 models which supposedly come with a 8600 GT.  Perhaps the machine I got was packaged with older model graphics?  (the manufacture date was in June 2008)  Strange...

opensent
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,710
Message 10 of 10

I'll just chime in and say that I've been running a Y510 with the GT video card for the past few weeks.  It handles GTASmiley FrustratedA at 1280 resolution with 1x anti aliasing (haven't tried 2x or higher) and effects set to Very High, without an issue, though it can't support mip mapping at that level.  The card runs at 73 C during load and after 2-3 hours of solid gaming with no breaks, GTA will sometimes lock up when I press escape and go out to the menu screen, which requires me to restart the game  Could be a thermal issue or a memory leak in the game... not sure.  Vista and Aero work fine after GTA locks up, so I can't say for certain either way.  A lot of times the whole display enviroment goes when the cards get too hot.  Anyway, I purchased a Targus Chill mat for $19 USD to help with this when I'm gaming.  Can't hurt and might help.    

I installed the Nvidia tweak utility, but I can't seem to change the clock settings.  I'd like to underclock it for a bit to see if that helps the games stablility and rule in or rule out a thermal issue with the card.  The left wrist keyboard area gets very hot during gameing, though not enough to physically burn you, it is uncomfortable.  I've got a Toshiba Numeric Keypad ($21 USD at Newegg) on order (Toshiba because it has two USB ports, so you gain a port instead of losing one with the Lenovo Keypad).  This should make gaming very comfortable.  For routine web-browsing, the wrist doesn't get that hot and for me it isn't very noticable.  I am very happy that Lenvo has USB ports on both sides of the laptop which will allow me to put a mouse on one side, and keypad on the other.  I've got a Nostromo Speed Pad that I will eventually try out for gaming (once I can get to it).

If I'm just browsing, I'll just use just the laptop.  If I'm going to be gaming, I'll setup the chill mat, external mouse, add the keypad (when it comes), plug in the power cord and pop the novo button until I get maximum power.  All the accessories fit fine in a Targus CVR600 backpack. 

I purchased the Y510 because for the price, it is one of the few laptops with 8600M GT level graphics and I wanted something more portable than 17 inches.  I'm very happy with the performance of the laptop for this game, as it indicates a good level of 3D support for that entire generation of DX 9 games.  I wanted something that would let me play older games (Counter Strike, Civ IV, WoW, etc.) when I'm away from my desktop system.  GTASmiley FrustratedA is the only game I've tested at this point, since my game library is being shipped to Bucharest. 

I am pretty sure that the card has DDR3, but I'll check and confirm this when I get back to the hotel tonight.

Anyway, I hope that helps you make a decision.  I can't comment on the ATI card, but the GT card is very nice, IMHO.  Cheers!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors