Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
holle49
Punch Card
Views: 4,899
Message 1 of 45

AVOID LENOVO !!!

Hello to the community.

Visiting my daughter over here for 3 weeks,I decided to buy my wife a new laptop.

We are to buy new laptops in my company, to replaced the good old Thinkpad T types, so I was wondering what Lenovo was like.

My only 2 concerns were:

1. Would Lenovo be as good as the IBM we already have, in respect of maintenance & stability?

2.  Different reviews indicated that Lenovo's support is not optimal (Expressed diplomatic!)

If 1. was answered positive, 2. didn't matter.

The first place i looked was at Lenovos own sales homepage. It was decided to go for Ideapad Y650.

Unfortunately they couldn't deliver within 2 weeks, so I had to find the same type elsewhere.

XXXXXXXX could deliver, so the Y650 was ordered, and arrived on September  23.

On September 25, the problems started. The machine started, but no screen picture.

After restarting several times, we gave up and called Lenovo support, asking for a replacement, which was denied promptly.They offered to send a box in which the Y650 was to be sent to a repair center in Texas.

Alternatively go back to the retailer and let him handle it. Replacement was out of order!

It was decided to talk to the retailer, who refused any refund, but offered a repair, which should take appr.. 12 business days !

Since we are leaving on October 06, I realized there was no time to waste. Contacted Lenovo support again, and the promised to expedite the case, by shipping a box on the September 28.

It was asked , if possible to bring the Y650 to the local authorized Lenovo repair shop? DENIED!!

It was asked if possible to email a label for the shipping,in order to save time.,since we still had the original box, which had made it from China to LA. And on to ABQ, NM!! DENIED !!

Today, September 30, the box arrived. Since I now could see the identity on the company i Texas, I tried to find an email address or phone. Number on the receiver. This was impossible, so I had to call Lenovo support, naive as I am, asking for a phone number /email address on Lenovos repair site in Texas. This they wouldn't supply.

I told the guy at support how surprised I was that Lenovo not up front offered a new machine, for a machine that died after 2 days. I told him that in my opinion, something was wrong, when a machine could pass Lenovos quality control, being in such a shape, after 2 day?  If it passed, I suggested a better quality control.

The person told me, there was nothing more he could do, so the call was ended.

So here I am with a 2 day old Ideapad Y650 which I will put in the garbage can, since I am convinced this is a bad machine. Even when it is being repaired, I don't want my daughter to have the problems it will create. When a machine can leave the factory in this condition, how is it not going to act/behave when being used? Furthermore, the warranty is only due in the US. Not like in IBM times: 3 year WW.

The latter indicates Lenovo is aware of the fact: Low quality , - short warranty time.

Life is indeed too short to have to fight no-name-like products as Lenovo.

In my case, Lenovo seems not to live up to the standards of IBM, which I got used to with Thinkpad T-types.

By replacing the ThinkPad T-types, Lenovo is not an option!

If it can be of any help to any other user, I shall leave the case # here:  WN121580

I am disappointed and feel Lenovo is pulling my leg!

All the best

holle49

UPDATE:

As of today, Monday October 05,I was contacted by phone from a exec. rep. from Lenovo N.C. The case was handed over to him by Mark, because Mark is out of office for this whole week. This rep. agreed upon sending my a new machine to my home abroad, free of any charge. I have to ship the malfunctioning machine to N.C, and not Texas. Labels will be shipped to my family's address in the US The new machine should be available in appr. 2 days. Then the case will be handed back to Mark, so he can arrange the shipping when he returns to office again, hopefully next week?

I don,t know what so say, but streamlined it isn't.

I will send a request to Cleo to see if she can take over? Otherwise Xmas is coming up, at my wife still has no laptop!

I'll keep you updated . Sending a message to Cleo after this message.

holle49

Update October 10. 2009.

Case was handed over to the rep, who handed it back to Mark, who is on vacation !

14 days passed since I contacted Lenovo first time, and to me it doesn't look like I am any closer to a solution.

Labels for return shipping of the faulty machine have not been received yet.

Cleo in Malaysia has not been able to add anything positive to the case so far.

Mark is supposedly returning from vacation on Monday. Maybe he hands the case over to a new person?

Looking at other cases in this forum, this case seems to be business as usual concerning Lenovos hand

ling.

holle 49

Update October 20. 2009.

Nothing happened since last update! The exec. rep. Michael is apparently working hard on finding a new machine. He did not manage so far. Neither did he manage to ship the labels for the returning of the faulty machine. I thought Lenovo would be interested in having the faulty machine back, asap in order to find out, what caused the problems. This seems not to be the case.

On October 12, I sent Mark a PM message, telling him I had no faith in Lenovo. Initially Mark offered me 3 options. One option was to have a refund, which I requested in my latest PM to Mark. Since then I have not heard from Mark!

It is hard to tell what the problem is/are at Lenovo, since the information level is so low, but one thing is quite sure: AVOID LENOVO !! in the future. This will be my advise. No one deserves such a bad treatment as anyone with a new/malfunctioning Lenovo machine, gets from Lenovo

I’ll send Mark a message, when finished this update.

All the best

holle49  

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 4,885
Message 2 of 45

Re: AVOID LENOVO !!!

Hi holle49,

Welcome to Lenovo Forum!

I am really sympathetic to the experience you are facing. I truly understand the frustration and the inconvenience caused. I'd like to help.

Would you mind to leave me a PM your detail like Full Name, email, contact number, Machine Type Model (e.g. 7660-AU1) and serial number? You may turn to the white printed label at the back of the notebook for the machine details.

For your information, a machine (ideapad or ThinkPad) could have warranty from 1 year or more. Different machine has different service offerings, so the same to ThinkPad.  In regards to the international warranty coverage, you may check out this link for the Y650 international warranty. Also, I'd to like put a not that a machine will only have IWS covered in a country if a product is released in the particular country. 

Thanks for your understanding. I'll see what can be done to restore your confidence in Lenovo. Smiley Happy

Regards,

Cleo

T410, x240

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 4,848
Message 3 of 45

ideapad are not thinkpads.... if you like Thinkpad, then you should still stick with T series Thinkpad. Ideapad are for people whom are more into gimmicks. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Former Administrator
Views: 4,832
Message 4 of 45

Holle49,

I would agree with you that we should not have had a quality escape, however these things do happen.  I appreciate your frustration, but it seems that we are making reasonable attempts to resolve the situation already, it is just that your personal schedule and time constraints are creating an additional hardship.   Did the place of purchase refuse to exchange the system as DOA?   While many partners could have limited return for refund policies, I would expect most / all to have provision to exchange a defective system.

If you purchase a product from Lenovo directly (and I know you were time constrained which made this not possible) and you experience troubles in first 21 days, a customer should call support.  Support will diagnose by phone and either resolve over the phone or offer to repair via service at the depot.   Within that 21 days, a customer could also elect to return via sales for refund or replacement, if they have first called support and have a doccumented case.   After the first 21 days, normal service warranty applies - Lenovo will repair the system.

If a customer purchases through a business partner, the terms and conditions and return policy of that partner apply, so it is important to review those conditions ahead of purchase.   Presently, the repair strategy is through a centralized depot, and parts are not made available for business partners to repair IdeaPads remotely.

In contrast, ThinkPads can be serviced by authorized business partners, depot under the terms of the base warranty, or onsite if the appropriate upgraded warranty options are chosen.

But this leaves us at a impass where you have not allowed us to repair the unit ( You haven't sent it to the depot yet?) because of time constraints.  I can't see throwing away the computer as the practical solution.

Perhaps we could help you arrange an exchange through the place where you purchased?  Please send myself or Cleo your contact information, service case number, and your system serial number and we will try to help.

Best regards,

Mark

holle49
Punch Card
Views: 4,809
Message 5 of 45

Mark.

I'll gladly supply the information asked for.

Since I'm new to the forum, pls.. indicate, where to send it.

Can I send it to this forum directly, - or?

Throwing the machine in the waste bin seems to be the only thing to do, because I feel that a machine leaving/passing Lenovo's quality control in this state I got it, may contain many other handicaps, surfacing at a later time: Result: New frustrations.

Kind regards

Holle49

This additional message is just for the information to the forum in general, as well as for the record:

The wanted info on the machine has been sent toCleo and Mark, as of 11 AM today via personal emails.

Kind regards

holle49

holle49
Punch Card
Views: 4,803
Message 6 of 45

lead org.

Thank you so much for your information/advise, - without it i would feel very dump!

Also, now I know what kind of person my wife is!

Did you try to help, - or did you just want to inform the forum about your knowledge?

All the best

holle49

holle49
Punch Card
Views: 4,712
Message 7 of 45

Hi Cleo.

I understand you will try to help.

Excuse me for asking, but what is it you can do in Malaysia, that people here in USA not can do?

Since I already have sent you the wanted information, I should like to know, what your intentions are, and what do you expect from your own involvement?

Have you undertaken anything so far, or?

I must correct you: I have at no point shown "Understanding" for Lenovo's behavior on this matter!

holle49

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 4,709
Message 8 of 45

holle49 wrote:

Excuse me for asking, but what is it you can do in Malaysia, that people here in USA not can do?

Cleo works with Mark.  I realize you're upset, but please don't bite the people who are trying to help you.

keep-calm-it-s-a-thinkpad-sm2.jpg

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane
nonnymouselenovoff1.gif

2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet, Yoga 3 Pro
I AM one of those crazy ThinkPad zealots!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

I am not a Lenovo employee

holle49
Punch Card
Views: 4,701
Message 9 of 45

Att. Jane.

Why is it you are answering the questions I am asking Cleo?

Did I do something wrong?

Off course I am not upset !  No one gets upset for dropping lots of dollars almost straight into the waste bin !

Would you get upset, by doing so? No!

It's not my impression any one from Lenovo tried to help me sofar. If so, I have not been informed.

I do hope Cleo and Mark are parts in the solution, and not in the problem!

holle49

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 4,683
Message 10 of 45

Hi holle49,

Thanks for providing the info. Mark has been very helpful to get someone to help after i informed him about your situation.

For your information, Mark and I work in different time zone and we communicate from time to time (mornings and nights) to exchange ideas or discuss what we both have found. It would be like covering up for each other when we are away.

If we're part of the problem, then we will not be here offering our help. I understand you are upset and we are sincerely trying to help you.

Thank you and sorry for inconvenience caused.

Best regards,

Cleo

T410, x240

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors