Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brg_mohajer
Paper Tape
Views: 1,703
Message 1 of 5

Adding a secondary SSD drive to Y510P

Hi,
I want to upgrade my Ideapad Y510P storage.
However, I noticed that all the posts on this thread are considerably old.
I plan to keep my old HDD since I have relevant data and my Ubuntu (UEFI boot) on it that must be conserved.
Hence, I think my only upgrade option is substituting the blu-ray drive (please let me know if I am wrong).
I only need enough space for my windows and a few application beside on the new storage drive. Because for the rest I already have the current HDD. Therefore, a small capacity is sufficient. Although, I prefer the maximum file transfer rate on the SSD.

My question is, what is the best solution now in 2017?
Which hard drive (and the possible components such as Caddy) do you suggest?

tnx in advance

Guru
Views: 1,633
Message 2 of 5

Re: Adding a secondary SSD drive to Y510P

Here's a caddy I found that's pretty cheap: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SATA-2nd-Hard-Drive-HDD-SSD-Caddy-Adapter-For-Lenovo-IdeaPad-Y510-Y510P-Y510...

There are a ton of options (some shipping from the US)... just look for "Lenovo Y510p caddy adapter"

For hard drives, you want to look for something 9.5mm or smaller. Here's a good option: https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-75E250B-AM/dp/B00OAJ412U/ref=pd_lpo_147_bs_t_2?_...

Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate and brand advocate (Lenovo INsider). I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Motorola   •IdeaPad   •ThinkPad   •Gaming   •ThinkCentre   •IdeaCentre   •Think Tablets   •Lenovo Tablets

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

LanceTheeGamer
802.11n
Views: 1,612
Message 3 of 5

I'd say get a caddy with a bezel like this one. I have the equivalent caddy for my y410p, and it's been great. 

Any HDD should work, as long as it's 2.5" and 9mm or shorter. Just get the largest, fastest HDD for your needs. I'd also consider grabbing a M.2 SSD if your laptop doesn't currently have one. 

y410p - Windows 10 x64 | i7-4700MQ | 16GB RAM |GT 755M SLI| 512GB ZTC M.2 |
3DMark: 4228 - http://www.3dmark.com/fs/7029653
brg_mohajer
Paper Tape
Views: 1,599
Message 4 of 5

tnx buddy:-)
brg_mohajer
Paper Tape
Views: 1,598
Message 5 of 5