Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
Message 1 of 5 (216 Views)

Adding an mSATA SSD to a Y580 ideapad

[ Edited ]

My original HD is going bad so I decided to buy a new HD and an mSATA SSD. I've read more forums and watched more videos then I would have liked and I still can't find anything that can walk me through this. I want my mSATA to be configured like my original HD with a C: and D: partition and it to be able to run one button recovery and everything else that the original HD was able to do. Then I want the replacement disk HD to be just for storage. My computer did not come with an mSATA originally. It does have Intel Rapid Storage Technology but I can not find RapidTool.exe which some of the forums say is needed.

Bit Torrent
Message 2 of 5 (195 Views)

Re: Adding an mSATA SSD to a Y580 ideapad

If your old HD is still operating, you should be able to clone it using the steps shown below.   Be warned that you must clone the whole drive, including all the hidden partitions, and can only resize the Windows Partition or the OKR recovery will not work, so the new m.2 SSD must be large enough to hold the entire contents of all the partitions of your existing HD drive.    Use Windows Drive Manager to view the sizes of the other parititons on your HD>

If you need to make room, back up all your data and then delete from the current OS drive partition before cloning.

http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/install-m2-ssd-lenovo-t440s

Read this thread as well, it points out some important rules that must be followed when cloning so thaat OKR will work afterwards.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/Enable-onekey-recovery-after-HDD-to-SSD-cloning...

Hope that helps, and good luck

Paper Tape
Message 3 of 5 (184 Views)

[ Edited ]

It's not an m.2 SSD it's an mSATA SSD not sure if that makes a difference steps wise. And it's more than big enough it's 500gb. Thanks for the help I'll let you know how it goes.

Paper Tape
Message 4 of 5 (175 Views)

So I ended up just making a factory restore disk and used it on the mSATA and it did everything I wanted except make a D: drive but all features are working so far and I don't see anything going wrong. Now for the disc drive do I just plug and play or do I have to do something extra?

Paper Tape
Message 5 of 5 (139 Views)

Sorry I haven't replied been busy. So I went into the BIOS and it does recognize both the mSATA and the HDD it is also in UEFI. I don't see a way to set my HDD as storage just change its boot priority. Once logged in my HDD doesn't show up under computer but it does show up in device manager. Anyone know what need to do at this point to be able to use it for storage only?

Top kudoed Authors