Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Deadnovo
Paper Tape
Views: 201
Message 1 of 3

Advice on a Dead Lenovo Y40 Laptop

Hello everyone!

I have a LenovoY40-80 laptop and had it for 3 years. Around the 2nd year, I noticed that one of the fans had been acting up being noisy. I couldn't bring it to any computer shops or have it looked at as I had a really busy schedule back then. Now at its 3rd year, the device finally died as it will no longer turn on. 

I've tested the hard drive in the device and it's fine. I was wondering, where do I go from here? I've had Lenovo devices in the past and I don't think I've ever had a laptop from Lenovo that just lasted a mere 3 years. I've also took care of the device quite well by placing it over a notebook cooler. No water damage nor was it ever dropped. 

I checked if Lenovo has service centers in Canada and they're just 3rd party repair shops. Does Lenovo have some sort of trade-in system or am I out of luck and just better off salvaging parts from the laptop??? Would like everyone's advice and opinions. 

Highlighted
JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 183
Message 2 of 3

Re: Advice on a Dead Lenovo Y40 Laptop

If the cooling fan is not working at all could cause the system to not boot, so that would be the first thing to check since you mentioned there was an issue.   Most systems will power the cooling fans to high speed briefly before posting, and if they fail to do so, the system will not post

Have you tried:

• Resetting the RAM etc.? 
  • Unplugging the internal batter and coin cell/CMOS batteries, holding down the power button for 15 seconds or so, reassembling and trying to boot?
  • Checking the output voltage of your charger?

Can you describe with a bit more detail what exactly happens when you try to power up the laptop, such as any status indicator lights lighting up, beep codes or any other signs of life?

Best of luck, 

Deadnovo
Paper Tape
Views: 125
Message 3 of 3

Re: Advice on a Dead Lenovo Y40 Laptop

Thank you for your swift reply, JDGillis.

Things I have tried:

1. Yup, I've tried resetting the RAM and hard drive. 

2. Haven't tried this yet. I'll do this over the weekend

3. Yup, the voltage works and charges the battery indicated on the LED on the laptop's chassis.

When I try to turn on the laptop it has no signs of turning on. No beeps, no fans turning on, no LEDs indicators turning on. 

Funny enough, it seems that the battery is discharging at an abnormal rate. The LED indicator of the battery is flashing low power even if I just charged it about a month ago. 

I'm guessing it's either a fan or battery issue as of right now but hard to determine... 

Top Kudoed Authors