Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ilan01
Punch Card
Views: 787
Message 1 of 8

Almost black screen Ideapad z580 Windows 7

Laptop has been working OK for 7 months but opened it yesterday and screen is virtually black. With a torch I can see  that the startup repair failed to find a problem. Thanks in advance for your help. 

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 765
Message 2 of 8

Re: Almost black screen Ideapad z580 Windows 7

hi Ilan01,

Looks like you have a defective backlight. If adjusting the screen brightness doesn't fix the lighting, I recommend you contact lenovo to report the issue as this is possiblly a hardware issue (they'll usually ask you to send the unit for service)

If you can't afford to send the unit in for warranty work, you may use an external monitor to get the display working.

Best regards,

neokenchi

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Ilan01
Punch Card
Views: 750
Message 3 of 8

Dear Neokenchi,

Thanks for your reply. It turns out with a torch (flashlight) I can make out that startup repair cannot repair the problem automatically. When I rang Lenovo support here they tried various fixes but none worked. The final suggestion was One Key Recovery but they said it would wipe the hard disk clean so I'm going to get a computer expert to back it up  first then ring them back. Any comments you have on all of this would be welcome.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 728
Message 4 of 8

hi Ilan01,

It'll be worth to give the OneKey Recovery a shot before sending the unit for service but usually this doesn't fix backlit problems as they are normally embedded on the LCD panel itself or configured via an inverter board.

If the OneKey Recovery doesn't fix the issue, try to connect the laptop to an external monitor > if you get a display, then it's definitely a hardware problem and you need to send the unit for service.

Best regards,

neokenchi

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Ilan01
Punch Card
Views: 706
Message 5 of 8

After it's backed up, is OneKey Recovery something I can try myself, or do I need guidance from Lenovo support? Thanks again.

p.s.

My computer expert tried connecting laptop to an external monitor (before OneKey Recovery) but didn't get a display.  

sub_optimal
Fanfold Paper
Views: 690
Message 6 of 8

its either the lcd or the motherboard, so i'd just send it in for repair. i wouldnt bother trying to OKR it since its not a hard drive issue. i wouldn't pay somebody to do a backup either, you can send the unit in for repair without the hdd or stipulate "customer says do not mess with hard drive!"

but its odd you can see the screen using a flashlight and it not show on the 'experts' external monitor, something goofy about that

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 674
Message 7 of 8

hi Ilan01,

You can do the recovery process yourself by pressing the OneKey Recovery button but like what sub_optimal said, it's most likely a hardware problem since connecting an external monitor via VGA/HDMI doesn't work - it'll also be hard if you continue to do OKR as you will need to stick a flashlight on the screen to see the progress (the recovery takes 20-30mins plus you need to setup Windows after that).

Best regards,

neokenchi

Ilan01
Punch Card
Views: 671
Message 8 of 8

OK. Thanks to all. I'll do what you suggest.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors