cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kelemvor
What's DOS?
Views: 10,233
Message 1 of 7

Any way to disable gestures on the Z580 touchpad?

Just bought this laptop for my wife and she's ready to throw it out the window.  She complains of it constantly zooming in and out and the cursor moving all over.  I'm assuming she's bumping the touchpad because the thing is so huge.

Is there any way to use it like a normal touchpad and disable all the fancy gestures, zooming, etc?  I don't want to disable to entire touchpad since she uses it as the mouse, just all the extra, fancy things it does...

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 10,205
Message 2 of 7

Re: Any way to disable gestures on the Z580 touchpad?

kelemvor,

Go to Control Panel
Click Mouse
Click on Settings for Synaptics
You should be able to find the settings to disable the zooming gestures there.

*Non Lenovo employee*

I have a Y530 ... Feel free to highlight any post which you have posted on the forum to me if no one have chimed in.
gregka
Punch Card
Views: 10,194
Message 3 of 7

UPDATED MESSAGE

I have had the same issue..I am not sure why everything is working fine now but it is - crazy. I actually had zoom and double finger scrolling uncheclked and now I have them checked again. I went thru device manager and uninstalled the touchpad driver. Then after rebooting I went to http://www.synaptics.com/resources/drivers/ and downloaded " Windows XP/Vista and Win7 64-bit Edition v15.2.20" it seems now to be more responsive than the one LENOVO has pre-installed. Still testing though

I also as an option did the following:
1.    http://blog.chron.com/techblog/2011/12/bringing-apples-two-finger-right-click-to-windows/

2. https://plus.google.com/116164717430356367649/posts/9rCL4QwMbqf#116164717430356367649/posts/9rCL4QwM...

kelemvor
What's DOS?
Views: 10,185
Message 4 of 7

Thanks for the additional info.  Let me know how the new drivers work for you.

gregka
Punch Card
Views: 10,162
Message 5 of 7

Working fine now. Even the zoom , double finger scrolling , AND copy paste. Amazing.
gregka
Punch Card
Views: 10,136
Message 6 of 7

Another thing I noticed was the SMART SENSE in Device Settings - I actually shifted the smart sense level all the way to the right (max) - this way the touchpad does not appear to be as sensitive which is great for the people that rest their arms by accident on it. So far so good. I am still puzzled about another issue that has to do with the DOLBY HOME THEATER that is set to OFF every time Windows starts so I have to click to turn it on manually. I noticed when I installed the software to my other Lenovos DOLBY HOME THEATER remains ON if it is so set.. By the way, great sound but I cannot figure out why it would stay OFF when windows starts. Thanks for any assistance.
tommcw
Paper Tape
Views: 6,582
Message 7 of 7

I found that my Z 500 ideapad has an Elan touchpad rather than Synaptics.

I don't know if the Synaptics drivers work with it or not. The options are a little different for the Elan driver. I disabled the swipe in from edge gesture that kept pulling up the charms menu in the middle of things.  Here's how to locate the driver options:

• Click Start and then Control Panel.
  • In Control Panel, click on the Mouse icon. Note: If the Control Panel is in Category View, under View by, click either Large icons or Small icons.
  • From the Mouse Properties window, click on the ELAN tab.
  • Click on the Options button.
  • From the Elan Smart-Pad window, there will be three tabs you can select from to configure each gesture and setting separately.
  • Once changes have been made click on Apply to save your changes.
  • Click on Ok once you are finished to close the window.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors