cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
VeryTall
Paper Tape
Views: 1,239
Message 1 of 4

Any way to disable the Z580 touchpad completely?

I use a mouse and really would like to disable the touchpad completely.

have tried disabling Synaptics, uninstalling Synaptics, tried all the Mouse options in CP, looked in the BIOS (no options there), decreasing sensitivity etc. (I've looked this up lots before).

Right now I have card taped across it to help in case I forget to press Fn+F6 after it mysteriously re-enables after rewaking. The card just minimises potential disasters but it's a poor solution and doesn't stop clicking - I often involuntarily palm-press it. The card also acts as a mousepad - it's a necessary personal preference (ok).

Fn+F6 is the only solution I have but is there anything better - I can see this causing a disaster on PokerStars one day!

As I say, I've looked this up before and found it's a common complaint - any chance of a driver update?

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,200
Message 2 of 4

Re: Any way to disable the Z580 touchpad completely?

hi VeryTall,

If you already checked the touchpad settings below and sometimes you forget to press Fn+F6 to disable the touchpad then you need to look under the hood to permanently disable the device. 

Synaptics

Spoiler
disable - synaptics.jpg

ELAN

Spoiler
disable - elan.jpg

To permanently disable the Touchpad, you need to:

1. Remove the keyboard (follow page 46 of the hardware maintenance manual)

2. Disconnect the Touchpad Cable  and reconnect the keyboard

Touchpad Cable - Z580.jpg

Until an updated driver / BIOS is released that has a feature to disable the Touchpad, this will be the alternative in getting rid of the touchpad permanently.

Hope this helps

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

VeryTall
Paper Tape
Views: 1,194
Message 3 of 4

Thanks Neokenchi, ::thumbs up:: and kudos.

Lenovo, take note

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 798
Message 4 of 4

hi,

Update:

After trying the registry trick on this thread, the Synaptics Touchpad can now be disabled via the option below:

Synaptics2.jpg

Credits to this website for the image

The trick requires adding the following key and value on the registry:

1. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Synaptics\SynTPEnh

2. Right click and select New > DWORD (32-bit) Value and name it DisableIntPDFeature

3. Modify the value to 33 in hexadecimal to enable it to be ON by default.

Tested on a Lenovo Y570 (may also work on other Ideapad Models).

Note:

Be careful in editing the registry as it may render the system unbootable if done incorrectly.

Regards,

neokenchi

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors