cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mag75
Paper Tape
Views: 2,420
Message 1 of 9

Anyone here satisfied with Y530 with V64???

Guys - new member here. Just puchased a Y530 with V64 and of course now I am starting to get worried after reading some problems here. Does anyone have this system that hasnt had any problems ?
Former Administrator
Views: 2,409
Message 2 of 9

Re: Anyone here satisfied with Y530 with V64???

mag75,

Welcome to the forum!

Have you read this discussion?   Obviously, this is a small sample of a couple customers and experiences are mixed. 

I think it is important to look at what different people are doing wit the systems, their expectations and experiences, and consider your own expectations.  Also, try to keep in mind that people come here to share their experiences, and often lead off with problems. 

Can you share a bit more about how you plan to use the system?   What kinds of applications do you plan to run?   What system do you have now that you might be comparing this to?

Best regards,

Mark

mag75
Paper Tape
Views: 2,401
Message 3 of 9

Mark - thanks for the welcome message. I am a pretty basic user. Dont plan to do much with the system - music, internet, no gaming, pictures....the usual.

I am upgrading from a 6 year old Dell Desktop, haha.

I dont plan to tweak the system and just use it at my leisure. What intrigued me with the Y530 is the build quality (and lenovo name), and the sound config.

DrJohnB
Punch Card
Views: 2,379
Message 4 of 9

Mark was kind enough to stay on the sidelines...

After further consideration I'm going to keep the 530 V-64 and attempt to tame it.  As usual, my post was in haste and under extreme stress - I was trying to use it out of the box and save 17 jobs from being cut next week.  So, I don't recommend trying to move to it under such a stressful situation and expect it to meet you expectations (i.e. killer hardware at a great price is hobbled by Vista and 64).

The good news is that I got bridge financing and saved the 17 jobs and may actually get more funding  :-)

I looked into return and can for 15% 'restock' fee.

Got use or lose leave so now will hunker down and try to tame the Y530 over the holidays .  You should do OK, but not optimal unless you take ownership - read some real investment of your time - in taming the Y530.  Research so far (OK my PhD 'Dr' is in meteorology - insert joke here- with minor in computer science) suggests three thematic areas for taming:

1.  Uninstall stuff you don't want - use uninstall and that mostly works - relatively easy for novice

2.  Update and keep current all drivers - Lenovo web site blanket posted (finally apparently from earlier threads..) all V-64 drivers

updated (first posted by Lenovo?) as of 11/12/08.  Attempts to reconcile those versions vs. installed (control panel=>system=>device manager=>select device and ctrl rt 'properties' drivers for date/version current drivers) is not complete but disturbing.  No relationship of Levono posted driver version nmbers to those installed.  Call to Lenovo service will be needed for more info.  I'll attemp to update all over Holiday break...may turn into drinking game ;-)

3.  Tame Vista - great articles on ZDNet on both taming Vista and V64.  Gist is it should work and be careful but can unallocate resources to improve CPU and lessen RAM.  Again, won't attempt until I get work under control and time over holidays.

So, bottom line.  Can Y530 can work OK without tweak but certainly below expecation based on kick butt hardware.  Must take ownership, with non-trivial  learning curve, to likely get performance consistent with hardware expectation.

I've decided to keep Y530 and fight the good fight 

Will try to post experience and lessons learned around the new year.

John

PS - Mark, thanks for your contributions and hope you understand my rant....;-(

Will let you know progress over the holidays and if successful will ask for sticky with results FAQ... 

TobySLN
Punch Card
Views: 2,371
Message 5 of 9

Yeah, I have the same computer, I'm quite happy with it. Although I will say that I'm not happy that vista uses up so much memory when I'm practicily doing nothing, but for now I'm not gonna bother to do anything since I'm too lazy....
Ideapad Y530, P8400 @ 2.26 GHz 320 gb HDD, 4 gb RAM, nVidea 9500M 512mb VRAM.
phil88
Punch Card
Views: 2,363
Message 6 of 9

I just received my V64 Y530 on Monday, so far I have been pretty satisfied, I should be I am replacing a six year old laptop that now only runs a light Linux distro. Still in the getting acquainted stage, a few niggling issues, like the wireless network icon disappearing from the tray today, hopefully I can track it down. Anyone have this issue?

I was pleasantly surprised last night when I got 3.5 hours of battery life without even being on the max battery life setting.

I can however echo DrJohnB's comment about drivers, for example the ATK0100ACPI driver on device manager shows a date of 10/23/06. I doubt this is a V64 driver simply by age and because the details show it is loaded in the system32 folder. The Lenovo web site shows a V64 driver with a November '08 date but it has the same version no. -- 1043.2.15.66 -- as the one on my machine. Also I am surprised by the lack of explanatory material on the Y530 driver site, especially when compared to the volumes on the ThinkPad site. But perhaps Lenovo is just gtting into it.

Back to tweaking.

Phil88

TobySLN
Punch Card
Views: 2,351
Message 7 of 9

If you haven't uninstalled ReadyComm yet then you probably want to, this should make windows do all the wireless connecting, and the icon will then stay visible.

Ideapad Y530, P8400 @ 2.26 GHz 320 gb HDD, 4 gb RAM, nVidea 9500M 512mb VRAM.
phil88
Punch Card
Views: 2,326
Message 8 of 9

Thanks Tony, the icon came back on the next boot, I had ready installed but i must have shut it down before it found the connection. In any event it seems okay now.

Phil88

mag75
Paper Tape
Views: 2,322
Message 9 of 9

Dr John -

Thanks for help. I am somewhat of a novice when it comes to these kind of things so I might steer clear of updating drivers, taming V64 etc....I just got mine last night and it seems to be running great.

You mention getting it up to better "performance"...what exactly are you referring to? Speed ? 

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors