Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
Message 1 of 6 (860 Views)

BIOS v40 flash failed on Lenovo Z410. No boot (screen blank). InsydeH20 invalid image firmware!

My Lenovo Z410 came with v37 BIOS dated 2013.

I went to Lenovo website and downloaded and ran 8DCN40WW.exe

Instead of taking normal time to flash, Windows started rebooting after only a couple sec.

No bootup. No beep. No Lenovo logo. Power light comes on. Blank screen (no backlight).

After 50+ bootup attempts I sometimes get the blue error message at bootup:

InsydeH20 invalid firmware image.

After changing RAM positions, and trying the Lenovo "rescue" bootup button, I got a bootup.

CPU-Z still shows the BIOS is V37 (ie it didn't flash). I know I have Secure Boot enabled.

So, to fix this I believe I need to force flash the old v37 BIOS image.

SUGGESTIONS?

HELP?

Paper Tape
Message 2 of 6 (856 Views)

Re: BIOS v40 flash failed on Lenovo Z410. No boot (screen blank). InsydeH20 invalid image firmware!

Forgot to mention.
I already tried "draining power". IE disassembling my laptop, and disconnecting the battery and AC adapter, and holding power button for 60sec+ many times.

It doesn't fix the issue.

Also, the RAM position etc, obviously has nothing to do with anything. I was able to bootup with exact same 2x DIMM config as originally.
Paper Tape
Message 3 of 6 (665 Views)

Re: BIOS v40 flash failed on Lenovo Z410. No boot (screen blank). InsydeH20 invalid image firmware!

So, after some research, I see there are only 2 (reasonable) options:

Try flashing from DOS using USB flash drive:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Welcome-FAQs-Knowledge-Base/How-to-flash-InsydeH2O-EFI-under-DOS-enviro...

De-solder BIOS chip and reprogram:

http://laptopturn.com/how-to-reprogram-laptop-bios/

Paper Tape
Message 4 of 6 (641 Views)

My Lenovo Z410 has no POST, blank screen. But, very rarely (50-200 boots), its ok.

I easily wasted 20+ hrs on this.

Here's everything I tried (IE what doesn't work):
- Doesn't matter if powering up using Novo or Power button.
- Doesn't matter if 1 stick of RAM or 2. I tried diff sticks too.
- Tried the discharge many times.
- Tried Load BIOS defaults, disable Secure Boot, flashing in Windows again. Nope.
- Changes BIOS to Legacy mode and USB boot. Made DOS bootable flash drive with fla**bleep**.exe. Fla**bleep** gives not supported AT-p error.
- Tried the Intel DOS Flash utility. Doesn't detect DESCRIPTOR area.
- Used Andy's tool to find the BIOS name, and tried holding Fn+Esc, Fn+R, Fn+F, Fn+B, and Win+B at bootup. Tried all 3 USB ports.

- with battery still disconnected, after about 300+ bootup attempts today, it worked once.

I'M JUST LEAVING IT POWERED ON FOREVER.
Bit Torrent
Message 5 of 6 (629 Views)

You did not call Technical Support it seems and if you're out of warranty. This should have been updated well within the first year. I always check for update within the first week or two of any new machine and onwards as changes are released.

Updating the bios is a propriotory process developed by each manufactures tools. Generic methods may not work.

T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QMbr>; Nvidia NVS 4200M Win 10 64bit
Z70-80 I7 - 5500U 16GB GB - 1TB HD Win 10 64bit FHD 17.3", G840 w/2GB

Paper Tape
Message 6 of 6 (624 Views)

if you are a Lenovo employee tripplec, why wont you help - just blame??

I did call. Twice. Its a Lenovo Z410. Its 2017. Obviously out of warranty (1 year typ).

Its up to Lenovo and nobody else to QA their updates work safetly. They failed.
Top kudoed Authors