Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
navooooo
Punch Card
Views: 2,397
Message 1 of 4

BSOD Error - Unmountable Boot Volume

Hi ,  i have a y560 i7 8gb...when the system is powered-up it seems to be going through a normal start-up process… Then is switches to a notice asking if the user wants to run start-up repair (recommended) or start Windows normally. If start-up repair is selected the system will eventually display the default Windows 7 desktop wallpaper…. There’s even a mouse pointer that can be moved around… but no dialogs, controls, or anything else will ever appear. I left it in this state for more than 30 minutes to make sure.

If ‘start Windows normally’ is chosen the system will eventually blue-screen , with the error reported as ‘Unmountable Boot Volume’.

I’ve also tried booting into a Windows 7 installation disk via an external USB drive , as well as booting into the same from recovery disks while i was stuck at the default windows 7 wallpaper . case I selected ‘Repair your computer” from the menu, only to get to the same scenario as before… with the default Windows 7 wallpaper displayed, but no sign of the System Recover Options tool/dialog… so I can’t even begin to try and repair the install.

The technical info at the end of the blue screen is STOP :0x0000005E random 0s etc.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 2,370
Message 2 of 4

Re: BSOD Error - Unmountable Boot Volume

hi navooooo,

this error usually points out hard-disc problem. can you try to use one key recover button to perform clean windows installation and/or windows disc scan to scan the discs?

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
countrywise
Broadband 3G
Views: 2,360
Message 3 of 4

@navooooo wrote:

Hi ,  i have a y560 i7 8gb...when the system is powered-up it seems to be going through a normal start-up process… Then is switches to a notice asking if the user wants to run start-up repair (recommended) or start Windows normally. If start-up repair is selected the system will eventually display the default Windows 7 desktop wallpaper…. There’s even a mouse pointer that can be moved around… but no dialogs, controls, or anything else will ever appear. I left it in this state for more than 30 minutes to make sure.

If ‘start Windows normally’ is chosen the system will eventually blue-screen , with the error reported as ‘Unmountable Boot Volume’.

I’ve also tried booting into a Windows 7 installation disk via an external USB drive , as well as booting into the same from recovery disks while i was stuck at the default windows 7 wallpaper . case I selected ‘Repair your computer” from the menu, only to get to the same scenario as before… with the default Windows 7 wallpaper displayed, but no sign of the System Recover Options tool/dialog… so I can’t even begin to try and repair the install.

The technical info at the end of the blue screen is STOP :0x0000005E random 0s etc.

Please tell us,the type of your hard disk

and the brand name.so that a diagnostic tool can be run

to determine the state of the hard disk.

But first i would strongly suggest,

that you image your entire system,

as anything can happen with a faulty hard disk.

oF COURSE İF YOU CAN'T BOOT İNTO wİNDOWS,

then a linux live cd can be used to backup your data.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windo...

please backup your data ASAP

countrywise
Broadband 3G
Views: 2,357
Message 4 of 4

@navooooo wrote:

I’ve also tried booting into a Windows 7 installation disk via an external USB drive , as well as booting into the same from recovery disks while i was stuck at the default windows 7 wallpaper . case I selected ‘Repair your computer” from the menu,

Have you tried booting into safe mode,

and than choose the  'last known good configuration''

(and if you're successful,and can boot into your desktop,

than back up first,and then you can run chkdsk first)

rather than ''repair your computer''

as that is NOT likely to work,

with a faulty hard drive.

Afterwards if you have valid warranty,

then please contact Lenovo support

to get the hard disk replaced.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors