cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
650backordered
Punch Card
Views: 2,181
Message 31 of 42

Re: BUYERS BEWARE (Y650 418556U DISPLAY NOT AS ADVERTISED)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The web site has been changed to show that the 418556U does in fact have a CCFL display. It still needs to be updated with the latest PSREF book from August 2009 and remove June's PSREF book. To those that are following. this is a good computer after some simple housekeeping and would serve most well. My reasons for posting here are only to protect the consumers interests and to for warn of pending conflicts. Lenovo thank you for correcting your Web site.
scigirl22
Paper Tape
Views: 2,176
Message 32 of 42

Re: BUYERS BEWARE (Y650 418556U DISPLAY NOT AS ADVERTISED)

So clearly Lenovo doesn't care about one lost customer. I just called and tried my best to explain the situation (the person I spoke to thought for a while that I was expecting an LCD monitor in addition to the notebook)...and even spoke to a supervisor. I was as nice as could be, but it got me nowhere. I forwarded the screen shots from yesterday (thank goodness I took them or I would have had no case at all) and he finally figured out what  was trying to explain to him.

But, Lenovo didn't hesitate to cancel my order all together and didn't even try to keep me as a customer.  I asked them if I could get some sort of upgrade or compensation for the inconvenience and they said, "If that was possible, we would have offered it." So, guess not. Order canceled. Too bad. I was really looking forward to my 34U sans bluetooth, but guess that doesn't exist. You know, Lenovo, these are NOT $1300 and $1400 machines (especially with crappy integrate Intel graphics!) and it wouldn't have killed you to send me a 34U for the price I paid for the 56U. And you would have had a very loyal customer who would have jumped at the opportunity to write a rave review here and tell all my friends (all of whom use laptops) how great Lenovos are and how great their customer service is. Maybe you don't realize how important ONE customer is -- especially someone who cares enough to take the time to write reviews online for the products she buys....reviews that are read by 1000s of potential customers.

So instead, I'm going to finish customizing my SONY FW in Chocolate Brown with a 16.4 inch LCD display, ATI Mobility Radeon HD4650 Graphics card, AND Bluetooth (plus ALL the SAME specs of the machine I ordered from Lenovo) which costs only $64.00 more FULL PRICE than the Lenovo cost on sale. I recognize that the Sony is heavier and doesn't have speakers that are as good as the Lenovo's (the main selling point for me), but I get a better graphics card, better, bigger display, more USB ports, and 4 hours of battery life for $64.00. 

For the rest of you out there in the same boat, you can also get the SONY NW or the Toshiba Satellite A355-S6930 for almost the same price as the Y650 (56U). With better graphics!

Good luck.

Scigirl22 

nhamdi
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,071
Message 33 of 42

Re: BUYERS BEWARE (Y650 418556U DISPLAY NOT AS ADVERTISED)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I called J&R yesterday to find out my options with regard to the falsely advertised Lenovo Y650 I bought through them.  They were very nice and offered a full refund! Problem is that I had rush ordered my laptop b/c I was traveling overseas and wouldn't be back in the US for a while.

The only acceptable course of action in my opinion is for Lenovo to refund all of us the difference in market price between the LED and CCFL  equivalent laptop models.  Or offer some form of upgrade, extended warranty, anything to make up for the money they wrongfully charged!!!

I am still waiting to hear from someone from Lenovo on how they plan to address the issue of all the people who have already purchased the laptop under false pretense... or is it just "hard luck"... "Better luck next time"

bbandzz
Punch Card
Views: 1,944
Message 34 of 42

Have you guys tried this website to check the detail configuration of your Y650?

http://consumersupport.lenovo.com/en/configuration/configuration.html

Just choose other countries in the "Country/Region" list and input your SN. It turns out mine is LED. But I am still not sure about this because I have not found the mercury stick on the back. What does it look like?

Anyway, my Parts information showed " Y650 KIWB4 160WLED CB BB W/BTQ-GM45H"

P.S.

I ordered mine (418556) on July 10th when lenovo website said it is LED and a week ago when I check the website again it showed CCFL. So I called tech support and was given this website to check.

650backordered
Punch Card
Views: 1,915
Message 35 of 42

@bbandzz wrote:

Have you guys tried this website to check the detail configuration of your Y650?

Just choose other countries in the "Country/Region" list and input your SN. It turns out mine is LED. But I am still not sure about this because I have not found the mercury stick on the back. What does it look like?

P.S.

I ordered mine (418556) on July 10th when lenovo website said it is LED and a week ago when I check the website again it showed CCFL. So I called tech support and was given this website to check.

The mecury sticker is a black label on the bottom of the laptop that reads (contains a lamp that contains mercury)

You may want to ask your tech support rep to look up the PSREF specs for your model.

The website that you linked to shows mine haveing the same display as yours LED however if it did in fact come with a led backlit display I would have a hard time believeing it was a sticker installed on the wrong machine.

everyone around here says its the psref book that counts.

what is the build date on your computer.

tejaspshah
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,748
Message 36 of 42

I just spoke with lenovo customer support and they said they need PROOF that 418556U was advertised as having LED display.  Does anyone has the screen shot?  Can you please PM it to me?

nhamdi
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,719
Message 37 of 42

I just checked the website and it seems they removed the "LED BACKLIGHT" from the Specs.

It is shameful that they would ask you to prove that they falsely advertised the laptop.

I think I printed the screen to pdf with the original advertised specs.  I will send a copy if I find it.

You can refer them to this thread, unless they delete it as well.

zepol
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,708
Message 38 of 42

i have screenshots on my desktop. I will pm them to you when I get home.

bbandzz
Punch Card
Views: 1,694
Message 39 of 42

Thanks for the info, 650backordered. My system is built in Jun 28th. I have the same mercury stick as yours.

So I called tech support again. After talked to two techs, they triple checked their data base and confirmed me that both their sales webpage and psref page are wrong. And the stick is also wrong.

"ALL Y650 has LED screen no matter what model is" that what they told me.

And the tech support said that they will correct sales webpage and psref page ASAP.

BTW, I think we need the administrator (Mark)  to reconfirm this on this forum, so that the confusion won't spread further!

@650backordered wrote:

@bbandzz wrote:

P.S.

The mecury sticker is a black label on the bottom of the laptop that reads (contains a lamp that contains mercury)

You may want to ask your tech support rep to look up the PSREF specs for your model.

The website that you linked to shows mine haveing the same display as yours LED however if it did in fact come with a led backlit display I would have a hard time believeing it was a sticker installed on the wrong machine.

everyone around here says its the psref book that counts.

what is the build date on your computer.

Former Administrator
Views: 1,655
Message 40 of 42

All,

We updated the website on 8/17 because we wanted to be sure we were accurately representing the product.  This was discussed here when 650backorder brought the issue to our attention.  If you ordered after 8/17, then the website fairly showed the unit as having the CCFL display.

The price has always been less than the models that did have LEDs, so in some regards,  you received technology fitting the price.   I do understand that the information on the web prior to 8/17 was not accurate with regard to LED vs CCFL on this model, and this is unfortunate and regrettable.

If you ordered prior to 8/17, and are unhappy about this feature, then I would suggest you contact Lenovo sales support.   I believe we will accept returns without restocking fees in the case of Lenovo error, which this was.   I know several of you have open complaints and I would expect that you should be offered the opportunity to return the unit, but having a formal complaint should not be required.

If anyone here feels they are at an impass, please send me a PM with your order number, and I'll do my best to ensure you receive help.

Bbandzz,

I will investigate the matter again with engineering - we would not intentionally build systems interchangable with LED / LCD backlight under the same part number.

Best regards,

Mark 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors