Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 1,701
Message 11 of 42
Moved:

Re: BUYERS BEWARE (Y650 418556U DISPLAY NOT AS ADVERTISED)

chetankaran
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,637
Message 12 of 42

I was planning on buying the Y650 this week, but after reading these comments about the CCFL screen instead of a LED screen, I am not sure whether I should get it. I can't believe that Lenovo would falsely advertise on their site though. Shocking!

I checked out the Y450 which has a slower processor than the base model Y650, but has a better video card. Problem is I am not into gaming and don't really care about a better video card. If Mark can ensure me that lenovo has started putting the LED screen on the base model, I would gladly buy it. Otherwise, is it worth it for me to choose the Y450?(I am indifferent to the screen size)

zepol
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,614
Message 13 of 42

Well my Y650 is being delivered today. I am fearing the worst regarding the screen as the specs from china clearly state that it does not contain a LED screen. As no one on here from lenovo responded to my requests, I would advise not to buy from them yet. I will post on here whether my notebook came with a LED screen or not. I have a feeling that the reason the website is wrong is because Lenovo has bad communication with their web developer. There is a lot of outdated information on the site, and just some flat out lies regarding some of their products like the Y650.
nhamdi
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,594
Message 14 of 42

I just bought the Y650 and I also believe that the screen is not an LED it is not that bright, and it has a sticker on the back sayin it contains a mercury lamp.

There are two base models available 418556U and 418555U Does anyone know what the difference is between them?

My battery barely lasts 2 hours (brand new laptop) is that normal?

Message Edited by nhamdi on 08-12-2009 11:49 AM
650backordered
Punch Card
Views: 1,574
Message 15 of 42

@nhamdi wrote:

I just bought the Y650 and I also believe that the screen is not an LED it is not that bright, and it has a sticker on the back sayin it contains a mercury lamp.

There are two base models available 418556U and 418555U Does anyone know what the difference is between them?

My battery barely lasts 2 hours (brand new laptop) is that normal?

Message Edited by nhamdi on 08-12-2009 11:49 AM

I'm not sure what the specs on your model are but maybe its a software-processor-memory-graphics who knows. it's hard to say what may be coming from china. i waited 30 days for my model to post. does your model have a design in the black rubber cover on top.       Tom
nhamdi
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,562
Message 16 of 42

Hi, The cover doesn't have any design on it, it is just black with Lenovo written in silver.

I was reading through the manual, and it says that the LED models do not contain the Mercury Lamp.  So Either they still put the warning sticker on all laptops regardless of backlight type, or Lenovo falsly advertised their product.

650backordered
Punch Card
Views: 1,540
Message 17 of 42

@nhamdi wrote:

Hi, The cover doesn't have any design on it, it is just black with Lenovo written in silver.

I was reading through the manual, and it says that the LED models do not contain the Mercury Lamp.  So Either they still put the warning sticker on all laptops regardless of backlight type, or Lenovo falsly advertised their product.

mine has no design either, although all info i read and all PSREF photos showed a design in the top. I replaced the hard disk with a 7200 WD from my toshiba laptop and am running windows 7 RC Ultimate 7100 with good success. does the sticker on the bottom show your build date. mine was built on june 28 2009. I am unable to locate your model anywhere. who did you buy it from?

nhamdi
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,509
Message 18 of 42

I bought it through J&R when Lenovo told me it would take at least 2 weeks to ship.  I looked up the specs on both and they seemed identical.I couldn't find exact specs for the 418556U model from Lenovo but I did find specs for it on CNET.

Part number: 4185-55U
Description: Select Y650 laptop is equipped with an ambient light sensor that automatically adjusts screen brightness in response to current light conditions. It is feature-rich with roomy widescreen, yet thinner and lighter than most 15" laptops. Features include multi-touch pad and touch-sensitive desktop navigation.
General Platform Technology Intel Centrino 2
Built-in Devices Stereo speakers, Ambient light sensor, Wireless LAN antenna
Screen type Widescreen
Wireless capabilities IEEE 802.11 n (draft), IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11b
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo P8700 / 2.53 GHz Multi-Core processor technology Dual-Core 64-bit processor
Data bus speed 1066 MHz
Processor features Intel 64 Technology, Intel Dynamic Acceleration, Intel Virtualization Technology, Intel Trusted Execution Technology
Chipset type Mobile Intel GM45 Express
Cache Memory Type L2 cache
Cache size 3 MB RAM
Installed Size 4 GB / 8 GB (max) Technology DDR3 SDRAM - 1066 MHz
Memory specification compliance PC3-8500 RAM form factor SO DIMM 204-pin
Storage controller type Serial ATA Storage Controller / Serial ATA Interface Serial ATA-300
Hard Drive 320 GB - Serial ATA-300 - 5400 rpm
Optical Storage Type DVD-Writer - Integrated
Card Reader Card reader type 6 in 1 card reader
Supported flash memory cards Memory Stick, MultiMediaCard, SD Memory Card, xD-Picture Card, Memory Stick Pro
Display Type 16 in TFT active matrix Max Resolution 1366 x 768 ( WXGA ) Widescreen Display Features LED-backlit
Video Graphics Processor / Vendor Intel GMA 4500MHD Dynamic Video Memory Technology 5.0
Audio output type Sound card Audio codec Realtek ALC272 Audio output compliant standards Dolby Home Theater
Audio Input Stereo microphone Notebook Camera Camera Type Integrated Notebook Camera / Sensor Resolution 1.3 Megapixel
Input Device(s) Input device type Keyboard, Touchpad Features Spill-proof, Volume control, Touch inductive panel, Multi-touch technology
Network adapter Networking / Wireless LAN Supported
Wireless NIC Intel WiFi Link 5100 Data link protocol Ethernet, IEEE 802.11a, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g, Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet, IEEE 802.11n (draft)
Networking standards IEEE 802.11a, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11n (draft)
Expansion / Connectivity  Expansion Slots Total (Free) 2 Memory - SO DIMM 204-pin, 1 ( 1 ) x ExpressCard/34
Interfaces
2 x Hi-Speed USB - 4 pin USB Type A, 1 x Display / video - VGA - 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15), 1 x Audio / video - HDMI, 1 x Network - Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX/1000Base-T - RJ-45, 1 x Infrared, 1 x Storage - eSATA, 1 x Microphone - Input - Mini-phone 3.5 mm, 1 x Headphones - SPDIF output - Mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm
Miscellaneous Features Hard drive password, Administrator password, Security lock slot (cable lock sold separately)
Compliant Standards RoHS Power Power device form factor External
Voltage Required AC 120/230 V
Battery Technology 6-cell Lithium ion
Mfr estimated battery life 3.5 hour(s)
Operating System / Software OS Provided Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Microsoft Office Ready
Includes a preinstalled image of select 2007 Microsoft Office suites. Purchase a Medialess License Kit (MLK) to activate the software.

zepol
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,363
Message 19 of 42

I received my Y650 yesterday in the mail. As I expected it did not come with an LED backlight. It has the sticker that says it contains lamps. THE WEBSITE STILL SAYS IT HAS AN LED BACKLIGHT. Can a moderator please get that fixed. This thread has been up for a while, and no one from Lenovo has responded. LENOVO WAKE UP. You guys are going to get lawsuits regarding false advertising. I really don't care about the LED, I'm not using the laptop for any movies or games. Also this model (418-556U)  does not come with the hex pattern, the website does say that though. Not directly so be careful. I am only getting about 2 hours of battery life even though the website says 3.5. That is only at 2 days old. Other than the insane amount of bloatware and loud hard drive it is a pretty good laptop. Veriface is cool but slows down system a lot. The speakers sound excellent. 
Former Administrator
Views: 1,315
Message 20 of 42

All,

There are models of the Y650 that do have LED displays, and we should look into this situation carefully.   I understand why members would be upset if they ordered one thing and received another - that is not acceptable.   I can assure you that if this winds up being the case, that it is an error and not a deliberate attempt to mis-represent the product.

We've passed this on the sales web team to investigate and update the site according to their findings.

The sticker regarding the mercury warning may be a sticker that has been applied to the cover of all models as a standard label, so I wouldn't necessarily say the presence of that sticker is an absolute indicator.  I've seen similar stickers on some of the external LCD displays in the past (perhaps an L220x) and we found that we needed to update the stickers being used.

I'll have an update on this situation for tomorrow afternoon.

650backordered,

You also had a question on why the warranty started even before your order was placed.   IdeaPads may be built somewhat ahead of time as they are sold through direct and through business partners.  To protect users against loss of warranty time while the unit is in inventory, we build in a 15 month warranty.  I think if you will check your end date of the warranty, you should have at least 12 months from the ship date to the warranty expiration date.   If this is not the case, we can use the proof of purchase to reset the end date to be 12 months from the ship date to ensure you get the full warranty period.

Best regards,

Mark

Message Edited by Mark_Lenovo on 08-13-2009 08:22 PM

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors