cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
650backordered
Punch Card
Views: 1,377
Message 21 of 42

Re: BUYERS BEWARE (Y650 418556U DISPLAY NOT AS ADVERTISED)

@Mark_Lenovo wrote:

All,

There are models of the Y650 that do have LED displays, and we should look into this situation carefully.   I understand why members would be upset if they ordered one thing and received another - that is not acceptable.   I can assure you that if this winds up being the case, that it is an error and not a deliberate attempt to mis-represent the product.

We've passed this on the sales web team to investigate and update the site according to their findings.

The sticker regarding the mercury warning may be a sticker that has been applied to the cover of all models as a standard label, so I wouldn't necessarily say the presence of that sticker is an absolute indicator.  I've seen similar stickers on some of the external LCD displays in the past (perhaps an L220x) and we found that we needed to update the stickers being used.

I'll have an update on this situation for tomorrow afternoon.

650backordered,

You also had a question on why the warranty started even before your order was placed.   IdeaPads may be built somewhat ahead of time as they are sold through direct and through business partners.  To protect users against loss of warranty time while the unit is in inventory, we build in a 15 month warranty.  I think if you will check your end date of the warranty, you should have at least 12 months from the ship date to the warranty expiration date.   If this is not the case, we can use the proof of purchase to reset the end date to be 12 months from the ship date to ensure you get the full warranty period.

Best regards,

Mark

Message Edited by Mark_Lenovo on 08-13-2009 08:22 PM

1 look at all photos in psref 358 359 360 for the y650. do you see any photos without design on the top in the rubber.although there may be some ad somewhere that talks about no design on certain models it's not in the forfront on lenovo's site.

2 In the first post of this thread i posted the psref specs released Aug. 5 2009.i also posted links to the PSREF BOOKS

notice how lenovo takes pride in the new psref specs Big Bold letters for LED backlit displays with regular letters for CCFL 

I wonder if the human eye is attracted to bold print.

3 the day i ordered my 418556U there was no photos of base model on the ordersite,I was looking to order a

t500 but decided not to because it had a ccfl display.

4 after contacting my sales rep she said all 650 had led backlit displays. she also directed me to the psref books, but the model

wansn't in the books yet.

5 the following came from PSREF worlwide marketing

Dear Tom,

Sorry for late response. I just come back form annual leave.

The information I provided in previous email is correct. I have double checked our reference, the panel of 418556U is CCFL backlight. It doesn't impact other current models. They are LED backlight.

Thanks a lot.

it may not have been Lenovo's intention to mislead anyone but as the facts keep piling up against lenovo how can anyone come to a better conclution.

the machine I recieved is not the machine I ordered. Wrong display-processor crippled by lenovo-design missing on cover-warranty start date issues. serial numbers invalid on win 7 upgrade site. lenovo you really created a happy and loyal customer with your deception.

The 600 dollar off coupon of course is not another marketing deception either is it. the laptop was never a 1400 dollar machine in the first place as lenovo would lead someone to believe with their marketing deception.

the 799 price is more in line with the mainstreme as this model compares to others in this price range.

thanks

Message Edited by 650backordered on 08-14-2009 08:07 AM
Former Administrator
Views: 1,397
Message 22 of 42

650backordered,

I've unmarked your last post as a solution since it is not a solution to the situation.

Please send me a PM with your order number - I'd like to open a formal complaint for you to provide an immediate remedy for your concerns while I continue to research the facts and ensure we make appropriate changes as needed.

The forum is a place to share experiences and get help.   I hear that you feel wronged and I'd like to help - please allow us to do

so. 

UPDATE:

Confirmed that the 4185-56U model Y650 does come with the CCFL display as per the PSREF sheet and changes have been placed in queue for the sales site to update.  Present update is set to complete on Monday and we are working to accelerate the changes as possible.

For those on this thread who received the product and have concerns, I would suggest you contact sales by phone as a first course of action.  650backordered, as you have multiple concerns, I'd like to try to lend a hand in your case.

Thanks,

Mark

Message Edited by Mark_Lenovo on 08-14-2009 09:21 AM
Message Edited by Mark_Lenovo on 08-14-2009 09:22 AM
nhamdi
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,382
Message 23 of 42

Hi Mark,

I would also like to know if my Y650 418555U was falsly advertised as LED backlit.  I posted the exact specs advertised on page2 of this thread.  The Build date says July 7, 2009.  I recieved my laptop 4 days ago through J&R.  I also want the OS CD's so I can clean format my machine, how can I get those?

Also if you have any idea what the difference is between the 418556U and 418555U models is please tell, Lenovo tech support has no idea, it is really sad when the manufacturer can't tell u what the difference is between their different models.

Thank you,

Message Edited by nhamdi on 08-14-2009 09:26 AM
650backordered
Punch Card
Views: 1,374
Message 24 of 42

Thank you Mark for letting us know the status of the display.For those of you who are following this thread I can only say that this laptop has a super bright screen and is crystal clear at 1366x768. so far windows 7 runs flawless useing vista 64 drivers. now its time to start solving the rest of the story. I think marketing will fix the issues and from now on I will never order the newest ,latest greatest model without specs. It Is also unfair to blame Mark for corperate decisions on marketing. From what Ive read he has tryed to solve many issues that have come up. I will watch the website for updates.

tom

Message Edited by 650backordered on 08-14-2009 10:21 AM
nhamdi
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,347
Message 25 of 42

I spent over an hour talking to sales, tech support, and every other person I was transfered to.  And in contrast to what Mark has stated that the Y650's currently do not have an LED backlight, they tried to assure me that they do.

Should I assume that Lenovo's current policy is once u bought it you're on your own.  The reason I did not buy a Dell or HP was because of the bad reviews people have been giving them on-line, it seems we need to start posting our experiences with Lenovo on review forums.

I suggest Lenovo either suggest a solution to ALL the people on this thread who have been duped by the false advertising, or let us know that they have no intention of doing anything about it, in which case I know we can do a lot to spread the word regarding Lenovo's business policy and conduct on every forum and tech site out there.

Telling us to call sales, is just a waste of time (An hour in my case that I am never getting back!) 

650backordered
Punch Card
Views: 1,337
Message 26 of 42

@nhamdi wrote:

I spent over an hour talking to sales, tech support, and every other person I was transfered to.  And in contrast to what Mark has stated that the Y650's currently do not have an LED backlight, they tried to assure me that they do.

Should I assume that Lenovo's current policy is once u bought it you're on your own.  The reason I did not buy a Dell or HP was because of the bad reviews people have been giving them on-line, it seems we need to start posting our experiences with Lenovo on review forums.

I suggest Lenovo either suggest a solution to ALL the people on this thread who have been duped by the false advertising, or let us know that they have no intention of doing anything about it, in which case I know we can do a lot to spread the word regarding Lenovo's business policy and conduct on every forum and tech site out there.

Telling us to call sales, is just a waste of time (An hour in my case that I am never getting back!) 

If the bottom of your laptop states that your laptop contains a mercury lamp (Led's are mercury free) I would reccomend you call your sales rep back and ask them just what does this sticker actually mean.The supply line in China seems to be ahead of marketing and installing things without proper notification for sales reps and website personel. Its not right and we as end users are the ones left to wonder. I was going to apply for a job at lenovo seeing I have more valid info than there sales staff. Mark is working his --- off trying to come up with answers but everyday something new comes up that makes it even more challenging for him. I am one of toshiba's customers who crossed over because of a machine my daughter bought from lenovo and i really liked it so i ordered a  650

scigirl22
Paper Tape
Views: 1,232
Message 27 of 42

Re: BUYERS BEWARE (Y650 418556U DISPLAY NOT AS ADVERTISED)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just ordered a Y650 418556U (Base Model) from Lenovo.com a few days ago and I'm planning on cancelling my order because of this issue unless Lenovo comes up with a solution REALLY QUICKLY.

I spent HOURS pouring over laptop specs and offers on the web and was certain I would be getting the best deal with this purchase, but am now regretting it.

I was frustrated that the specs listed on the website didn't match the specs in the yseries_techspecs_062509.pdf file, but the specs on the website were better for the base model (4Gigs of memory, 2.53 GHz P8700 processor, 320 G SATA disk) - basically it seemed to me I was being offered the higher-grade model (4185-34U) sans the NVIDIA card and Bluetooth...I should know that if a deal seems too good to be true, it probably is.

So, here's what I bought:

Lenovo IdeaPad Y650 - 418556U (Base Model)

Advertised here:

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:category.details?current-catalog-id=12F0696583E04D86B9B79B0FEC01C087&current-category-id=212F582DB900462C9F50CCBE8EF9E8CC

Listed at $899, marked down from $1399.99

Here are the specs as listed on the website: 

Display

16.0 " TFT Wide Screen LED 

1366x768

Based on the specs listed in the only specs file available at the time of my purchase - "yseries_techspecs_062509.pdf" (posted on:

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:category.details?current-catalog-id=12F0696583E04D86B9B79B0FEC01C087&current-category-id=C46D71ACFD7C4475B8E490358F8CA8C3),

it seemed to me that I was going to be getting the 4185-34U without Bluetooth and with the Intel GMA4500MHD instead of the NVIDIA GeForce.

This seemed like a great deal (though I really had to grit my teeth to go with the Intel integrated graphics -- I don't recommend it and really regret taking that downgrade to get a good deal).

There was NO MENTION on the website or in the June techspecs file of any of the Y650s having a CCFL screen.

So, thanks to a post on this thread, I visited www.lenovo.com/psref/pdf/ipbook.pdf

There were the specs for the 4185-56U I ordered!

WHY this file was not available on the website from which I ordered my machine, I do NOT know.

So, now, instead of eagerly anticipating the arrival of my new laptop with a cool LED monitor, I'm waiting for a machine with a mercury lamp.

I'm going to cancel this order unless Lenovo is willing to fix this problem and send me a machine with all the specs I ordered. I wouldn't mind a free upgrade to an NVIDIA GEForce, to boot.

FALSE ADVERTISING gets you nothing but pissed off customers and bad word-of-mouth.

Scigirl22

zepol
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,222
Message 28 of 42

Re: BUYERS BEWARE (Y650 418556U DISPLAY NOT AS ADVERTISED)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You should probably cancel. Lenovo doesn't seem to care about this issue. A moderator said they had scheduled to fix the website specs on Monday. Even though this thread has been up for at least a week. Clearly Lenovo could care less about screwing its customers. Honestly, it would take their web developer literary 5 seconds to fix the specs on  this y 650 model. I believe everyone who bought this model, thinking they would get a LED backlight, should get some just compensation for not returning the product. I have screenshots with the dates that I bought the laptop showing the false advertising. I have the evidence to make a good case against Lenovo. This is not just a little mistake, the LED is an important feature that I was looking forward too. The laptop itself is fine, after removing all the bloatware, but I feel I paid too much now that I did not receive the LED. Also the lamps kill the battery, I am only getting 2 hours max when the specs say 3.5.

Thanks Lenovo. 

scigirl22
Paper Tape
Views: 1,220
Message 29 of 42

I emailed sales, which I'm sure will just lead to me wasting loads of time on the phone or re-typing my problem over and over again. I can't actually contact a real post-sales person via phone until Monday morning. I haven't gotten the machine yet, so hopefully that will save me some hassle (assuming it hasn't shipped yet). I already "settled" for the low battery life and the crappy integrated graphics because I thought I was getting a good deal for the fast processor, large hard disk, kick-ass speakers and light-weight machine (which is important because I'll be taking it back and forth from home to work). I already bought a lock, case, and eSATA drive for it...ugh. But if the CCFL means even WORSE battery life as you say, then I'm definitely out. And, I happened to be at Fry's Electronics and Best Buy (which I usually consider Worst Buy) yesterday looking for accessories/peripherals and found laptops with almost the same exact configurations for about the price I paid (NOT on sale). Here I thought I was getting such a great deal getting a $1400 laptop for $800, but seems like $800-900 is about comparable with similar Sonys and Toshibas out there. Harumph.
scigirl22
Paper Tape
Views: 1,219
Message 30 of 42

p.s. I have screen shots, too, as well as the June techspecs file which was the only specs file available through their website when I bought my machine on Thursday.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors