cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bbandzz
Punch Card
Views: 419
Message 41 of 42

Re: BUYERS BEWARE (Y650 418556U DISPLAY NOT AS ADVERTISED)

@Mark_Lenovo wrote:

All,

We updated the website on 8/17 because we wanted to be sure we were accurately representing the product.  This was discussed here when 650backorder brought the issue to our attention.  If you ordered after 8/17, then the website fairly showed the unit as having the CCFL display.

The price has always been less than the models that did have LEDs, so in some regards,  you received technology fitting the price.   I do understand that the information on the web prior to 8/17 was not accurate with regard to LED vs CCFL on this model, and this is unfortunate and regrettable.

If you ordered prior to 8/17, and are unhappy about this feature, then I would suggest you contact Lenovo sales support.   I believe we will accept returns without restocking fees in the case of Lenovo error, which this was.   I know several of you have open complaints and I would expect that you should be offered the opportunity to return the unit, but having a formal complaint should not be required.

If anyone here feels they are at an impass, please send me a PM with your order number, and I'll do my best to ensure you receive help.

Bbandzz,

I will investigate the matter again with engineering - we would not intentionally build systems interchangable with LED / LCD backlight under the same part number.

Best regards,

Mark 

Thanks for the update, Mark.

However, I am confused again. Now you confirmed that it is CCFL?

I really hope you can review my case #WN111067 and talk to the techs that I spoke to with this issue and give me a response ASAP.

BTW, how  would you explain the info given in the consumersupport.lenovo.com which should 160WLED screen?

Thanks!

bbandzz
Punch Card
Views: 306
Message 42 of 42

Re: BUYERS BEWARE (Y650 418556U DISPLAY NOT AS ADVERTISED)

I think other people posted message here see the same "16WLED" in the configuration detail webpage and I think it will be better that they also get this info.

So, eventually, the info regarding this issue on the configuration detail webpage (http://consumersupport.lenovo.com/en/configuration/configuration.html) and the words from two lenovo tech support (who I talked with) are all wrong. This is really a big mistake in lenovo system.  

Also, I just don't understand why lenovo will use a CCFL screen for this base model when the cost difference between LED and CCFL is minor compared to one year ago. Right now, you can find many laptop manufacturers already use LED for most of their "base model", which seems to me that LED (at least White LED) is not a precious feature any more. It is really unwise for lenovo to do this change in their "base" model.

The last thing that I am still confused is how lenovo is able to fit a CCFL screen in to a case which is built for LED screen? As far as I know, CCFL screen is usually thicker than LED screen, unless 418556U is thicker than its brothers? Hope someone here can get a 36U or 37U to compare with 56U.

@Mark_Lenovo wrote:
I haven't found an update on your service case, but I have gotten a spreadsheet with the specs of all the Ideapad Models. The 418556U has the CCFL and the 418537U has the LED backlight panel. If you have the 56U and the part look up is saying LED, can you send me your serial number and I'll see if we have an error loading parts information. Likewise, if you have the 37U and if it has a mercury lamp warning label, I'd like the serial so I can look it up too. Thanks Mark

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors