Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
browngirl82
Paper Tape
Views: 551
Message 1 of 4

Battery Problem with Y560 Ideapad

Hi Everyone, I really need some advice and assistance here.

I purchased a Lenovo Y560 off Amazon at the end of December 2010. I've had to change the battery twice already as the battery keeps depleating rapidly 1.5 months after the new battery is received. I've updated all the drivers (including the latest BIOS) but this doesn't seem to be working.
The battery now lasts half an hour under normal use like web surfing although it's only a few months old at a 80% charge.
Here is the laptop specs:
http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0040X4NT2/ref=oss_product

I am using the Lenovo Energy Management program to keep the screen display at a low level. I only use this laptop for internet browsing and Microsoft applications - that is all. No gaming, etc. It's set to the 80% battery life rate (the battery charges to 80%) to increase the lifespan of the battery (as per Lenovo's suggestions). It's also on Super Energy Saver. I'm using all the energy saving options to it's fullest and not running it in a high power state.

I changed the battery twice already and only charge it when it gets to 5%. I never leave it plugged in over it's time. The battery would work well for 1.5 months, then it would begin to only last for 30 minutes at a time. I've noticed that when I have plugged in an HDMI cord into my laptop to my TV a few times to watch a movie off Netflix, a few weeks after, is when the battery starts to act up.

Can anyone please offer some suggestions here?  Am I doing anything wrong? Any tests I can do or do you think it's the HDMI cable causing this? When I've watched a movie off Netflix a few times, the laptop is plugged in for the duration of the movie.

Please help! This laptop is only 4.5 months old   I don't know what else to do here. 

Battery Specs:

• Six-cell, rechargeable system battery, 11.1V dc, 57wh
  • Lithium Ion (Li-Ion)
  • Retired Moderator
    Retired Moderator
    Views: 526
    Message 2 of 4

Re: Battery Problem with Y560 Ideapad

my personal opinion, you need another battery replacement. call lenovo support line.

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
    browngirl82
    Paper Tape
    Views: 524
    Message 3 of 4

Hi yigit, thanks for your input.  But I've changed my battery twice already with Lenovo and this issue keeps happening 1.5 months after using the new battery.  It started with the battery that initally came with the computer, then I changed it twice after that.  So in total, I've now gone through 3 batteries.

Do you think it's a motherboard or Firmware issue?  Or maybe a Windows 7 issue are talked about here:

Windows 7 battery life failures:
    Microsoft looking into Windows 7 battery life failures

Retired Moderator
    Retired Moderator
    Views: 511
    Message 4 of 4

bad luck but it's the battery (faulty)

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors