Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mies867
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,987
Message 1 of 66

Battery drain when powered down Y410P

Hey Guys,

So I just recently got my hands on a new Y410P laptop and am having issues with the battery. When i first received the laptop I had charged it to 100%, unplugged the laptop from AC, completely shut down the system and let it sit over night. Upon waking up the next day and turning on my laptop, approximately 8 hours after last use, my battery was at 85%. 15% drain over 8 hours.

I charged it to full again last night and this morning it was again down 15%. I left it all day and after about 18 hours since it has last been used it is now at 70% charge.

The laptop has all the latest drivers installed. I have tried removing Lenovo energy management and re-installing but that didn't work. My USB always on has been turned off through the BIOS settings and still the same thing. I currently have the battery unplugged from the system and will plug it back in and test again in approximately 8 hours to see if I still have a 15% drain with the battery out of the system.

I don't mind a little battery drain because i know it is part of electronics, but having a 15% drop in 8 hours seems a little excessive and really just unacceptable. Even on my previous Lenovo laptop I saw maybe 1-2% drop over 8 hours at the max.

If you have any ideas on what might be the problem, fire them my way and I will test them out after I see what the results are from my latest test.

cbautis2
Bit Torrent
Views: 7,960
Message 2 of 66

Re: Battery drain when powered down Y410P

Something definitely eats battery even when completely off. Try hooking up your smartphone with a USB cord while the laptop is shutdown fully and see if it charges. If yes then you found the energy leakage. If not, try to diagnose by removing each parts such as HDD or WiFi adapter to determine which devices eat the battery while completely off.

Lenovo Y470: i7-2670QM | 8 GB DDR3 1333 MHz RAM | Nvidia GeForce GT 550M | 500 GB 7200 RPM Seagate HDD | ASUS PCE-AC56 802.11ac Network Adapter | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
mies867
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,948
Message 3 of 66

@cbautis2 wrote:

Something definitely eats battery even when completely off. Try hooking up your smartphone with a USB cord while the laptop is shutdown fully and see if it charges. If yes then you found the energy leakage. If not, try to diagnose by removing each parts such as HDD or WiFi adapter to determine which devices eat the battery while completely off.

Ya, I just plugged my battery back in after being removed for about 5 hours. Same % as what it was when I took it out. So definetly something in the computer draining the power. I will test the USB thing, but for the other ones, I think I would rather just get a replacement seeing as I received the computer about 6 days ago. Don't really want to mess with the insides if I don't know what I am doing.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 7,936
Message 4 of 66

Before you turn in your non-performing laptop, to Lenovo support for repair, a refund, or even a new system, be sure to restore the OEM Factory image backup, that you made before your "fresh re-install of of Windows 8". If the tech observes a non-OEM version of Windows has been loaded, he will probably re-image your HDD to the OEM factory OS, and run a few tests. If it passes these tests, you machine will be returned in a "like new" status. 

In either case, all your data will be lost. So back up all of your important data to an external media receptacle.

Check this warranty, for what it covers:

http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/thinkcentre_pdf/l505-0010-02_en.pdf

Licensing agreement.

http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/thinkcentre_pdf/l505-0009-01-eng.pdf

Cheers

DragonRider

I'm DO'ing IT

Yoga 900 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz (Skylake-Y)

X1 Carbon 2nd Gen (20A8) ThinkPad/YOGA Tablet 2 Pro-1380F/IdeaCentre A520 All-In-One i5-3230M/Lenovo Y470 i7-2630QM/T420

FreedomBot9000
Punch Card
Views: 7,882
Message 5 of 66

Lenovo didn't like this URL https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-Edge-S-series/Battery-Drain-Issue/td-p/238428 and accused me of flooding so I lost my post. My own falult for poking around ancient laptop and not posting on shiny new Y410P.

Moral of the story is that I have also observed the problem. Laptop is basically/was stock when battery drain was observed, Always-On USB feature is disabled by default [for me], not sure what other "Wake On X" things are enabled, and taking out the battery leaves no noticable drain after several days. Not having the most updated firware/software when shipped from the factory is strange but I'll have to go look at device driver numbers closely when I get a chance.

I noticed a few other very very long Y410P user threads on random laptop sites mentioning this issue several weeks ago but I couldn't find any resolution to it. If anyone else is searching for a solution to their Y410P battery drain issue and notices this, now is as good a time as any to chime in.

Highlighted
Guru
Views: 7,872
Message 6 of 66

During boot, press F2 to enter the BIOS, make sure that 'USB Always On' is disabled. This will stop the battery drain if this setting is causing the problem.

Warm regards,
Jonas Hendrickx

Lenovo Insider - Windows Insider MVP

Personal website: ThinkScopes

darkwyvern55
Paper Tape
Views: 7,849
Message 7 of 66

I also got Y410p a week ago. I booted it up on first day, played with it  then shut it down.
I haven't been using it for a week, and today battery was down to 10 percent from 60 (maximize battery lifespan setting).
USB always on is also disabled for me and everything is stock.

Did anyone find a solution yet? Do you know if its a mass problem or just happens to some defective units?
I am planning to return it when I have time.

Update:
I went and disabled fast boot from power options and at same time changed maximize battery lifespan to maximize battery life.
I dont know which one worked, but now it doesn't drain my battery when shut down. I will try if it is still draining when I hibernate.

FreedomBot9000
Punch Card
Views: 7,806
Message 8 of 66

I did not even know this fastboot thing was an option in windows. Good catch darkwyvern55. I've just disabled fastboot now but since I'm logged in here anyways, here is what I have been trying besides not having a large block of time to allocate to call Lenovo:

• updating lenovo drivers [there were none]
  • updating intel drivers [just some wireless things but I uninstalled one of them anyways]
  • uninstalling the lenovo battery management thing
  • changing the settings on the lenovo battery management thing before and after uninstall
  • shuttingdown via command line to bypass the sneaky hybrid shutdown [but fastboot was still checked/separate]
  • making sure there was no wake on ___ triggered
  • taking out my optical drive and leaving the ultrabay empty

I'll edit later to give my verdict. Guess going to an SSD with Win7 and a buntu distro might have also solved the problem then as well

EDIT: Whole lot of nope. Even did the battery discharge thing in the Lenovo Battery Management thing and it might have actually made the battery drain faster. Also think I noticed some battery level jumps while testing this as well while looking back at some scribles. Getting annoying. Time to call Lenovo

darkwyvern55
Paper Tape
Views: 7,764
Message 9 of 66

So my previous update might be a little misleading: it still drains 8% battery every 24 hours.
It is much slower than before and therefore eluded me for a while :/
I feel like this is actually a big problem but not many people have noticed it since most of them often leave their laptops plugged in and some others downgraded to windows 7 and disabled UEFI.

If you call Lenovo, could you update us on the matter FreedomBot9000.

mies867
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,748
Message 10 of 66

So a quick update on where I am with my computer draining. I called Lenovo support and they opened up an RMA for me right away. A couple days later I received a pre-paid shipping box to send my laptop in to the warranty center. They have received my laptop and I am eagerly waiting for an update on their RMA tracking site.

When I sent it in I attached a letter explaining all the steps I have taken to try and save them some time. Hopefully they actually read the letter and realize it isn't the battery that is broke but something within the computer. Ill let you know as soon as I have an update as to what they are doing.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors