Did you mean: 
Highlighted
jamesalfred
Paper Tape
Views: 3,748
Message 21 of 66

Re: Battery drain when powered down Y410P

Hello everyone,

I registered to this forum to follow up this particular issue.

I also experienced the same battery drain with my unit, Y410p. I charged it full, completely shut down it, and left it for around 3-4 days due to my trip. To my surprise when I came back, the battery was completely empty. Then I read about this issue in this forum.

I then tried to charge it to full capacity (100%), then overcharged it a little bit (around 30 minutes). After that, I completely put the notebook off, then took out the battery for around 10 minutes, then put it back in. After 5 hours, the battery percentage went down to 95%. After that, I recharged it again to 100%, with the same overcharge, then completely shut it down and took out the battery. After around 6-7 hours, I put the battery back. In windows, it remained 100%.

So this is basically an issue with the laptop itself. A certain "protocol" caused it to kept on using the battery even though it's off. I did not experience this kind of issue in my previous laptop (an AS*S). What is going on Lenovo?

darkwyvern55
Paper Tape
Views: 3,735
Message 22 of 66

mies867, that was what I was scared of. I decided to live with the issue, because I couldn't afford 1 month without a laptop. Thank you for the updates.
jamesalfred, that is a strange observation. I would rather leaving my battery out than going through that process tho.
I hope a fix or an explanation is coming from Lenovo, since NINE said that their team is investigating the issue.

mies867
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,705
Message 23 of 66

Hey another update. I called in last night and told them the issue was the exact same after receiving the laptop back from the repair center. The guy on the phone wanted me to do the same trouble shooting things I had already completed the first time around and I explained to him that I already did those and it doesn't work (remove battery, hold power button for 30 seconds, replace battery, turn on and one key recovery....etc.).

After I explained this he started to offer me another RMA to send it back to repair. I cut him off and told him no I won't accept that seeing as I have had this laptop for 7 days out of 53 since order date and I wont accept to send it in for another 2 weeks. At this point he asked to put me on hold. About 10 mins later he returned and told me that he talked to his manager. Explained that he and his manager both agreed to escalate my case to the customer relations manager who will contact me in 3 business days.

Im guessing this means that I will either receive of a replacement laptop of the same model or a refund. If they offer a refurbished one and not a brand new one I'm asking for a refund and I'm going somewhere else. I like Lenovo though and my last laptop from Lenovo was great so I don't want to have to do that.

To be honest Dark and James, if I were you I would call Lenovo and explain to them that you bought a laptop to be able to use from day 1. If we didn't need a laptop and could afford the time to send it in for 2 weeks at a time, we would have just waited for the next line of laptops to come out.

The thing that gets me is the 21 day return policy from the date you purchased it!!! Because it was on back order I didn't receive the laptop for 16 days....leaving me 5 days to figure out if I had an issue. A no lemon policy should be put in place for issues like this.

mies867
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,703
Message 24 of 66

As for a fix Dark. It probably won't come through a patch or download. It is mechanical I can almost gaurentee that. A short or loose connection somewhere inside the laptop causing the drain. If it was an issue that a download could fix, that would mean every Lenovo Y410P is experiencing the same issue and if that was the case, I hope people would be smart enough to realize that it isn't a normal thing to get 10% drain on a battery every 8 hours and report it.

Thank you NINE for getting the team to look into this, hopefully they can resolve the issue on the production line so other people don't get the same issue.

jamesalfred
Paper Tape
Views: 3,681
Message 25 of 66

I agree. It has to be something at the hardware level. Unfortunately I cannot easily contact the service center in my country, as this model is very limited in amount and not very popular here. I already experienced where I have to explain to death about an issue with my previous laptop, yet they can't understand. I'd rather follow this forum Smiley Very Happy.
FreedomBot9000
Punch Card
Views: 3,672
Message 26 of 66

We should all follow this thread as we've come across something rather critical and NINE seems to be getting the appropriate people on the case. Friends who know about this agree that it is something low down though I haven't tested it with Linux yet to help narrow things down since voiding the warranty and probing the laptop guts isn't really an option.

I can also confirm that calling in to basic support proves basically futile for this. I tried calling but didn't really get anywhere + ran into problems.

I also left the battery in for a few weeks without using it and it recharged fine so the battery is performing within specification - which we already suspected.

Anyone else try any other operating systems on here yet?

jamesalfred
Paper Tape
Views: 3,573
Message 27 of 66

Sooooo, no other infos? I practically gave up already. Anyway, I'm not using the battery that much. But then again, it's a bit annoying to know that there's something wrong at the hardware level.....
FreedomBot9000
Punch Card
Views: 3,505
Message 28 of 66

I called Lenovo yesterday and now they want to have a look at my laptop in one of the service centers. Waiting on the Fedex shipping instructions. The guy on the phone actually listened to everything I said, asked me a few things about what I did, and marked everything in their system so this is promising.

Has anyone else called in about this and had Lenovo ask to send their y410p in? Getting a troubleshooting pary going for these engineers+technicians and whatnot.

magc
Paper Tape
Views: 3,485
Message 29 of 66

Hi fellow Y410p users, I also came across this problem so I tried various methods to try and fix the problem. The first thing I did was disable always-on usb, and all wake-up on lan events found in the wireless lan adapter and gigabit adapter. After doing that, the battery drain was still present. So I decided to update the wireless lan drivers to 15.8.05 at http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS035820. New advance settings were then present with the wireless lan, so I disabled the GTK rekeying for WoWLAN and ARP offload for WoWLAN. sleep on WoWLAN disconnect was also set to disabled. Afterwhich, I noticed that the battery drain issue was resolved. I hope this finding can contribute to the others having the said issue.

mies867
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,467
Message 30 of 66

Hey Magic,

I am in the process of testing this right now. When you said "sleep on WoWLAN disconnect was also set to disabled" do you mean you enabled it? Or left it as disabled. That setting for me was already on disabled. Just want to check.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors