Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FreedomBot9000
Punch Card
Views: 903
Message 61 of 66

Re: Battery drain when powered down Y410P

deltad:

If a new motherboard and battery does/did not do it for you then it's something else on the laptop and debugging yourself becomes a nontrivial exercise.

Regardless of whether or not you've sent your laptop in already for repairs [that didn't work for me], keep track of your battery % before and after you leave it for a night + the time between usage to get a % drained per hour calculation. I normally got ~1.5%/hr with WoWLAN disabled regardless of what I did to the computer. If you do observe this and are on battery and motherboard > 1, you could have the exact same problem I had to which I say "just ask for a new one"

deltad
What's DOS?
Views: 900
Message 62 of 66

asking for a replacement is not an option since I have the y510p and I already sold the extra GPU. I tried to fix the track pad problem w/ electric tape but that didn't work either. sigh*

FreedomBot9000
Punch Card
Views: 894
Message 63 of 66

You can get a new motherboard and battery under warranty still regardless of how you've modified the laptop [to a certain degree] assuming I read the legal stuff correctly; user swappable parts don't void the warranty. Y series qualifies for premo shipping and servicing fyi so laptop transport time was quick for me. Tell the service depot to make sure it doesn't drain at all with WoWLAN off if you do. I told the service depot to leave it for a day and to check the drain rate. They must have only left it barely overnight though since they only said it drained a few % but it was still draining at 1.5%/hr after my second check.

If a new mobo and battery doesn't help, try taking/swapping out the wireless card. I found it suspicious that the motherboard and battery didn't do anything to the drain rate but disabling a function of the wireless card did a lot. I took out the optical drive and nothing changed so I was also tempted to remove the hdd and whatever else I could to see if I could narrow it down to a specific par. If you feel like playing computer detective, I recommend starting here.

gibolocopt
Paper Tape
Views: 846
Message 64 of 66

I disabled all the specified WLAN settings, and still have the problem (16% drain in 24h). I dont know if I can contact the costumer support, because I changed the HDD to SSD (anyone knows if this voids the warranty?)

This is serius defect in the y410p/y510p series. I dont know how the enginners could release a computer without testing them...

stattman
Punch Card
Views: 782
Message 65 of 66

Hi.

I've been having very similar problems on my S3-S440 Thinkpad.

Having run some tests, I started at 100% charge at 23:15 and the next day I was at 63% at 09:40 - so it seems after 10.5 hours I'm suffering from 3.5% power loss per hour.

Its taken the shine off what I think is a very good business laptop. Having read this thread I'm disabling some other properties in the Device Manager Wireless Card. Main BISO settings (Wake on Lan and Always on USB are disabled).

harisrocks
Paper Tape
Views: 150
Message 66 of 66

Re: Fixed by updating wifi driver and setting advanced options

Thanks a lot. It worked for me Smiley Happy

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors