cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GuessWho530
Punch Card
Views: 1,712
Message 1 of 10

Best Disk Imaging Software for Lenovo Ideapad?

Hello All,

I was wondering what Disk Imaging, perferrably Bare Metal Imaging Back Up you guys use to back up your Lenovo Ideapad. Since I know that the newer computers only recovery via hidden partition, I wanted to know what back up software some of you guys use. I have tried ReDO and Clonezilla and both have failed on me so I am only left with trying to buy a software. My Lenovo Y580 I bought for college and volunteer work already had problems when I was first creating recovery disks. I don't know if it is because of the SSD portion of the hard drive or simply the hard drives themselves. Please I really need your guy's help I have had this laptop for a few months but too scared to use it until I have found an imaging software that'll actually work before starting to use it. This is the most expensive laptop I have ever bought and I am scared that'll probably be my last laptop I can afford before I officially go into debt because of college loans.  

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,538
Message 2 of 10

Re: Best Disk Imaging Software for Lenovo Ideapad?

hi GuessWho530,

I personally use Acronis True Image Home 2013 for my data backup needs. Try to give it a shot as there's a 30days trial for it.

Cheers

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

GuessWho530
Punch Card
Views: 1,525
Message 3 of 10

Hi Neokenchi,

I have heard that Arconis TrueImage 2012 and 2013 are really buggy is that true??

-My

l1
Punch Card
Views: 1,514
Message 4 of 10

@GuessWho530, I have to say that yours is the first post I recall ever reading that said Clonezilla failed them. I've been creating images using Clonezilla for a couple of years now. I like the fact that I don't have to install Clonezilla on my system since it's a live CD. Now to be honest, I've never needed to reinstall any of these images. But, when I create them using Clonezilla I have the program verify the accuracy of the images before ending. I've never had a hiccup. And I started using Clonezilla after doing quite a bit of research on the internet. In any event, another free and very popular program with a very good reputation is Macrium Reflect. I have never used it. But if I ever chose to depart from Clonezilla, I would likely be inclined to use MR. Here's more information about it: http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-drive-imaging-program.htm
Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,508
Message 5 of 10

hi GuessWho530,

I've been using Acronis True Image 2010.for a while, I skipped version 2012 and jumped to Acronis True Image  2013 and so far it's running smooth.

Cheers

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

GuessWho530
Punch Card
Views: 1,489
Message 6 of 10

Hi,

Quick question, does True Image 2013 have full bare metal back up included? 

GuessWho530
Punch Card
Views: 1,482
Message 7 of 10

Hi l1,

Clonezilla worked perfectly on the Alienware with Windows 7 I have, other than cause me to have to go through choosing the version of windows 7 after installing the image into an empty secondary HDD. I believe that the problem is located on the SSD in the Lenovo Ideapad laptop. I tried to image it just off of the Lenovo HDD and I think it only imaged some of the paritions located on it. 

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,466
Message 8 of 10

hi GuessWho530,

Yes, Acronis True Image 2013 supports Bare-metal backup and restore. Check this pdf data sheet for more info.

Cheers

scimitar55
Paper Tape
Views: 1,445
Message 9 of 10

The windows 7 system image backup is still part of windows 8.

You have to look for the "Windows 7 File Recovery" link in the lower left side of the File History page (or search for "file recovery"). It's not a very intuitive name, because it sounds like you'd be recovering Windows 7 files, but that's where the legacy backup tools are.

Do a system backup and it the end it will ask you if you want a startup disc. Do this too.

Sfairat
802.11n
Views: 1,432
Message 10 of 10

If you want to do a backup image of windows, then yes, use windows file recovery, I migrated my windows from HDD to SSD using it and I almost didn't have any problems (I had to use some console commands, though). If you want to do a backup of anything else, then, IMO, clonezilla is the best (and also free) choice which works for any filesystem, I've used it a lot for backup and restoration purposes (I played with Mac OS on my ideapad) and it worked perfectly for it.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors