Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
beepFTW
Punch Card
Views: 470
Message 1 of 4

Big mistake on my part. Lost everything.

So let me begin by telling the background. I have an Ideapad Y400 and I wanted to dual boot ubuntu and Windows 8 because at my university I have a programming class the uses Linux. So I can just do my assignments at home instead of driving to the School computer lab every time I needed to work.

Now I know the struggles of many people, but it is extremely hard to install Linux on this laptop (This being a newer laptop that utilizes UEFI). I spent so much time trying to get Ubuntu to boot, and once it did, I decided it was not worth my time.

Which bring us to my current predicament, upon trying to uninstall Ubuntu, I did something wrong and turns out I wiped EVERYTHING. And I guess I did much more damage than that, because I had no backup, One-key’s not working and all that jazz.

I read that my laptop can be activated by simply installing a Windows 8 Pro iso and there happens to be a key in the bios that’ll automatically activate. So that’s what I did. But it did not work. Then I tried a program that claimed it can extract the Windows 8 product ID form the bios. I installed it and extracted it, and when I tried activating with said keys windows said the key was invalid.

So does anyone know how I can get my windows activated again? And maybe get one key recovery back on?Thanks in advance.

ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 434
Message 2 of 4

Re: Big mistake on my part. Lost everything.

Hi
Do you have the 20gb recovery partition on your laptop by any chance?
Ishaan Ideapad Y560(i3 330m), Hp Elitebook 8460p!(i5-2520M) Hp Pavilion n208tx(i5-4200u)
If you think a post helped you, then you can give Kudos to the post by pressing the Star on the left of the post. If you think a post solved your problem, then mark it as a solution so that others having the same problem can refer to it.
beepFTW
Punch Card
Views: 430
Message 3 of 4

No, unfortunately I do not. Every partition was wiped.
ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 419
Message 4 of 4

Hi
In that case, i suggest you contact lenovo and ask them if they can give you the recovery disk($60) or if they can re image your laptop.
Regards
Ishaan Ideapad Y560(i3 330m), Hp Elitebook 8460p!(i5-2520M) Hp Pavilion n208tx(i5-4200u)
If you think a post helped you, then you can give Kudos to the post by pressing the Star on the left of the post. If you think a post solved your problem, then mark it as a solution so that others having the same problem can refer to it.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors