Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MaxY7
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,410
Message 1 of 4

Bios CDCN52WW just bricked my y700-15isk

This morning I noticed a new bios version (CDCN52WW) was available so I installed it. It seemed to install ok, with no errors, but then the laptop got stuck in a bootloop where the Lenovo logo (now on a new ugly colored background) comes up for 10 seconds or so, then reboots.

I don't have a recovery partition anymore, so the Novo reset won't work. Is there a way to force it to boot from USB? I tried F12, but didn't work.

Called support and they want me to ship the laptop for repair, but I would really like to avoid that if possible.

Guru
Views: 1,400
Message 2 of 4

Re: Bios CDCN52WW just bricked my y700-15isk

if you press many times F2 can you get into bios menu? The new logo means the bios flashed ok and its not bricked

I am a volunteer in this forum and also a lenovo user. If i helped you, click on the kudos button!

MaxY7
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,381
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for the reply. I tried F2 and didn't work. I removed the sata HD just for the heck of it and to my surprise the system booted from the M2 SSD. Put the other disk back in and same thing, no boot and no way to access the bios with F2 or the boot menu.

Removed the HD one more time, booted in the bios (wich was reporting as version CDCN52WW) reset it to default, shut it down and plugged the SATA HD back in and it started working again.

Not sure what caused it, but from now on I will think twice before upgrading the bios on this laptop.

Guru
Views: 1,376
Message 4 of 4

Flashing the BIOS restores default settings. The problem was the UEFI/LEGACY setting not set correctly and/or first boot device selection

I am a volunteer in this forum and also a lenovo user. If i helped you, click on the kudos button!

Top Kudoed Authors