Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bluesymmetry
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,785
Message 1 of 3

Black paint on my y500 keyboard is coming off

I'm wondering if this is a normal problem, I have used this y500 for about 2 months now and am pretty happy with it (no problems whatsoever besides this). But the black paint on my WASD keys are coming off and I'm guessing that only those keys are wearing off because I play games alot. The key is still smooth to the touch so it isn't such a huge deal but do note that my laptop is only 2 months old and I first noticed the problem after a month on my 'w' key . Does anyone else have this problem as well and can it be fixed by replacing the keys or something?

http://postimg.org/image/mlcr0meip/

And  if it matters, my laptop is the single graphic card y500 with the 1TB 5400rpm hard disk but I suppose the keyboard is the same on all the y500 models. Also, I have tried searching the board and haven't found any results, if there has been a post like this before please link it. Smiley Very Happy

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,733
Message 2 of 3

Re: Black paint on my y500 keyboard is coming off

You could check with Lenovo support to see if they will honor a keyboard replacement, but I doubt it since the warranty probably has an exclusion for normal wear and tear.  

As for replacing the worn keys, e-Bay has sellers offering replacement keys for your model.  Problem is the keys have a painted finish versus being a solid plastic color all the way through.  Frequent use by gaming will only wear the painted finish on the new keys as well.  If it were me I would consider laminating those particular keys with a clear laminate such as packing tape to prevent further wear.

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

bluesymmetry
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,711
Message 3 of 3

Re: Black paint on my y500 keyboard is coming off

Hmm, if the problem with the keys are most likely to happen again even after replacing I guess I wouldn't have to replace the keyboard so soon until all the keys start to wear off since it might start to wear off again after a month. Laminating the keys seems like a good idea. Anyway, thanks for your helpful post.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors