Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Fletchman1313
Token Ring
Views: 792
Message 1 of 9

Blue Screened... (Y570)

Argh... after nearly 2 months to the day after receiving my Y570, it's broken.  Just shipped it back for repairs.  

I think it might have something to do with the SSD, because the consistent error message is "Cannot find bootable disk" even though the BIOS still recognizes both the SSD and SATA drives.  If I try one-key recovery or using the recovery disks, it blue screens.   I pulled the re-seated the drives because the error message also said to check the cable, but to no avail.

Up until then, the computer was running perfectly.  None of the other stuttering problems or overheating problems that others were having.  But now, I get to experience Lenovo Customer Care up close.  I'll let everyone know how this turns out.   

Worst of all, I lost a week of Skyrim progress...

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 774
Message 2 of 9

Re: Blue Screened...

if there's any mini dump file, can you upload it so i can check?

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
Fletchman1313
Token Ring
Views: 766
Message 3 of 9

Nope, already sent back to Lenovo.  This is pretty much how it went:

6:20pm - Checked something on Facebook.  Left the room.

6:26pm - Walked back in and Recovery and Rescue had started up and gave restore options.  I cancelled and rebooted.

6:27pm - Logged in and attempted to start a backup.  Blue screen of death.

6:28pm - Blue screen of death again.  Decided to boot with the one-key recovery button. Selected "repair windows installation"

6:35pm - "No boot disk found" type error message.  Booted with recovery DVD's and attempted to do a factory reinstall.  Blue screen of death. 

7:25pm - Called Lenovo tech support. 

7:50pm - Tech support decides it needs to be returned for repairs.  Sends me RMA information.

9:00pm - Dropped off Y570 at FedEx location. 

It was quick and painful.

On the plus side, Skyrim seems to be able to run on my old T61.  Haven't entered combat yet though. 

Fletchman1313
Token Ring
Views: 750
Message 4 of 9

Date Time Descriptions
Jan 26, 201211:01 PMYour PC has not reached the depot service center yet. You can track the location of your machine by visiting http://www.fedex.com
Feb 01, 201204:02 PMYour PC has been received by the depot service cente
Feb 01, 201206:02 PMYour PC has been received by the depot service center and it is currently being repaired
Feb 01, 201206:02 PMYour PC is currently on hold due to a service parts shortage. Please check back periodically for further updates

Argh...

On a plus note, Skyrim runs surprisingly well on my T61. 

Fletchman1313
Token Ring
Views: 711
Message 5 of 9

One week later and no change to the status.  So I called support.  According to Marge, they estimate the part to be in around Feb 24th.  When I asked her what part it was, she said it was the mainboard. 

She didn't have information on return policies, so I'll have to try to look that up.  If the delay goes beyond Feb 24th I"m going to attempt to get a refund because I need this laptop and can't really wait that long for repairs (and no, not just for Skyrim.  I was also using it for work and for other things too).    Hopefully it won't come down to that, because I really liked this laptop a lot right up until the part when it broke. 

But holy crap, the mainboard?  One of the few Y570's that didn't have the problem with games stuttering, and the mainboard failed?

Fletchman1313
Token Ring
Views: 696
Message 6 of 9

Hmm...

So approximately 20 hours after I was told the parts were coming in on 2/24, I get an e-mail telling me that the repairs have been completed and is being shipped back to me. 

How strange...

Fletchman1313
Token Ring
Views: 648
Message 7 of 9

Got my Y570 back!  

Everything seems to be ok, except that for some reason One Key Recovery won't recognize my USB drive.  So I cannot restore my backup.  Fortunately, the only thing I really lost was a month's worth of Skyrim and some miscellaneous photos.  

So I'm starting over, this time without RapidDrive.   It'll be interesting to see what difference there is between RapidDrive and just "manually" managing an SSD and SATA drive. 

All in all, no problems with Lenovo customer service on this one.  

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 631
Message 8 of 9

have you tried to copy the backup to d volume ( if it fits ) to recover?

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
Fletchman1313
Token Ring
Views: 610
Message 9 of 9

That was brilliant!

It didn't fit into the D: drive, so I gave up.  But then I thought about expanded the D: drive so that it fit, and 6 hours later I was able to restore my backup!

One-Key Restore is a very odd program.   So basically, if you want to use an external hard drive to back up your system, you have to do a factory restore first, and then copy the backup files into D:?   And there's no obvious instruction or FAQ to follow for OKR?  

Well anyway, thanks for the tip, Yigit!  I got my system back!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors