Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Retired Guru
Views: 2,497
Message 11 of 15

Re: Bluetooth Issue solved for the Ideapad Y510-D2 laptop

Hawk521, wow, that's great.
What kind of N-wifi do you have? Bought directly from Lenovo?
And what did you mean by "dedicated video"? You mean discrete? Non-built-in?
//help will save the world
Hawk521
Punch Card
Views: 2,483
Message 12 of 15

I was refering to the add-in video device (nVidia?) rather than the onboard Intel GM965 video that my Y510 utilizes. 
The GM965 use "shared memory (up to 384MB) rather than a separate video adapter.   It would seem likely that the
nVidia adapter provides a performance advantage.  Yet I have seen no issues at all with my GM965 video.

I upgraded my WiFi card by replacing the Intel 3945abg PCIe card with a 4965agn card.  I learned the hard way that
it is necessary to purchase a card branded by Lenovo for this upgrade.  I initially purchased a generic Intel
4965agn card.  But upon installing it, my Y510 would not boot.  The BIOS would stop the boot and complain that a
non-Lenovo branded PCIe card was found and the system would not boot until it was removed.  Subsequently I sold
that card and paid a bit more on eBay for one that had the requisite Lenovo PN on it.  Visually the two 4965agn cards
were identical but for the Lenovo PN on the label.  Apparently Lenovo (in their infinite wisdom) has burned an ID into
the card's firmware that must be there for the machine BIOS to bless it during the boot process.

Retired Guru
Views: 2,480
Message 13 of 15

Thanks for info.
By the way, aren't you that exact guy that was with WiFi upgrade issue of Lenovo on notebookreview.com ? Robot Happy
//help will save the world
Former Administrator
Views: 2,399
Message 14 of 15

Hey,

Awesome work! Smiley Happy

I think there are several great bits of information and solutions here in this thread.   The original issue started about the bluetooth and modem, but there are also great points on video updates and upgrades to the Wireless.

Could I suggest that someone append a detailed answer on the original modem / Bluetooth issue, and mark that as a solution?

Then could we start some separate threads with new titles concerning the discrete graphics, pose a question about how to add, and then post the solution, with part source and steps, and mark that as solved as well?

I think these are valuable points and want to ensure readers find them easily, however since they are not formal Lenovo upgrades, it would be inappropriate for me to try to re-post other's work.

Appreciate everyone's efforts here in building strong content and organizing it in ways to make it readily accessible by new members, or those just surfing / searching through google.

Thanks!Smiley Wink
Highlighted
canadafast
Punch Card
Views: 2,387
Message 15 of 15

Hi CrankTh3,

The only IdeaPad which comes with wireless a/b/g/n + bluetooth + nVIDIA 8600M GT 256MG graphic card is the IdeaPad Y510-D2, which I purchased from www.jr.com

The one which you are talking about is Y510-4, it does not come with the nVIDIA card, wireless N and bluetooth, I just checked it out at the http://www.jr.com/lenovo/pe/LEN_Y510_hy_4/

Or maybe JR has listed wrong info, which I don't think they usually do.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors