Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
canadafast
Punch Card
Views: 9,939
Message 1 of 15

Bluetooth Issue solved for the Ideapad Y510-D2 laptop

Hello Everyone,

The only Lenovo Ideapad to have both the wifi a/b/g/n + bluetooth built-in & the Nvidia 8600M GT graphics card is the Ideapad Y510-D2 available at www.jr.com

To turn on the bluetooth, u need to click the fn+f5 key and a windows will popup, there u will see options to turn on/off the wifi and the bluetooth.

thanks
khinan

geminijatt
Punch Card
Views: 9,903
Message 2 of 15

Re: Bluetooth Issue solved for the Ideapad Y510-D2 laptop

Hi,

could you tell me what the bluetooth's part number is? I have a Y510 but without bluetooth and would love to add that card to my system so it is built in. Of course I could buy a USB dongle, but i'd rather have it built in. If it is not too much trouble I would really appreciate it if you could find out the device information like the part number or whatever would make it easier for a person to purchase it. I think t is a broadcom card but only you can tell me for sure.

Thanks

canadafast
Punch Card
Views: 9,896
Message 3 of 15

Hello,

I assume u got ur Y510 from tigerdirect.ca, cause they are the ones who are selling the lowest configuration in terms of performance. That is why I purchased the Y510-D2 from www.jr.com it cost me $999 + GST+PST after it arrived in Canada from New York.

Anyways, regarding ur question about the part no. I couldn't find it, but I am 100% sure that the bluetooth is from broadcom, so u may install an internal bluetooth from broadcom if it is available.

thanks
geminijatt
Punch Card
Views: 9,888
Message 4 of 15

Hi,
Thanks for replying back.

I am not sure how good you are with computers. But if you open up the casing where it says HDD, and look under that peice could you tell me what is in the port that I have a red rectangle around?

Check this picture to understand what I mean.

http://www.endeonline.com/images/y510.jpg

It would be a huge help to not only me but others looking to get more out of this laptop.

Thanks

Retired Guru
Views: 9,871
Message 5 of 15

Well, regarding "any broadcom internal bluetooth" - it's not correct.
The thing is that  Y510 won't start if there's something internal non-certified by lenovo. For example different WiFi card, TV tuner or Bluetooth module - this was discussed on NBR forums. A man there bought a a/b/g/n/ wifi (non-certified by Lenovo) and the laptop didn't start.
That's because all devices must have information in DMI, that they're approved by Lenovo.
So, you can only use these one - need to find some.
That man (with wifi) bought his a/b/g/n wifi directly from Lenovo.

Have a nice day.
//help will save the world
geminijatt
Punch Card
Views: 9,865
Message 6 of 15

That's a bit of a downer then. I really wished this had bluetooth built in.
marcelo1251
Punch Card
Views: 9,816
Message 7 of 15

I'm almost sure it does have it there.... just disabled by configuration.
A30N
Fanfold Paper
Views: 9,796
Message 8 of 15

If I may jump in.... I purchased the entry-level Y510 with the expectation that I could upgrade the hardware as soon as funding became available to me. My first target: internal bluetooth. There is no information online as to what kind of bluetooth daughterboard ships with the international Y510's. A bit of research revealed to me that Lenovo uses hybrid bluetooth/56K modem daughterboards in their 3000 series laptops. When you open up the cover under the laptop, you will see two filled RAM slots, an empty mini-PCI slot, a filled mini-PCI slot (wireless adapter) and a smaller filled slot that is filled with the 56K modem. You can, in theory, replace the 56K modem daughterboard with the hybrid bluetooth/56K modem daughterboard from one of the 3000 series, as they are Lenovo-approved hardware. This week I will put in calls to Lenovo support and see if I can pry the information out of them. If I fail, I'll order a used hybrid daughterboard and test in my system.
CrankTh3musicUP
Serial Port
Views: 9,310
Message 9 of 15

I just bought an IdeaPad Y510-4 in the United States, and it came with wireless a/g/n AND bluetooth AND the nVidia 8600M GT 256MB graphics card.
Hawk521
Punch Card
Views: 9,303
Message 10 of 15

Quite a few of us early purchasers bought what must have been the Y510-0 model Smiley Happy which was on sale at Office Depot for $529 after rebates.  This model came with a 1.6GHz T2330 processor and does not have Bluetooth or the Draft-N WiFi. 

I have since upgraded mine to a 2.5GHz T9300 cpu ($319) and a 4965agn WiFi adapter ($50) and 4 GB of RAM ($60) and mine runs very nicely now.  So I've invested about $958 now.  Not too bad as I was able to utilize the original 2GB of RAM in my wife's notebook. 

What do the latest models with bluetooth, 4965agn and dedicated graphics adapters sell for?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors