Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MartynS
Paper Tape
Views: 2,664
Message 1 of 5

Bluetooth and Bluetooth Drivers with Win 8.1

Hi. I am new to this forum so please be kind. I have an Ideapad Z580, i5, 8Gb, 1Tb laptop which was supplied with Win 8 pre-installed around 11 months ago. Two weeks ago it upgraded to 8.1. The upgrade was not smooth as the installer stalled and I had to power off; however, it picked up after that and completed the installation. I think it stalled at the Restart.  Today I realised that bluetooth is not working (it always worked before the upgrade). I checked that it was actually turned on and yes, it was. Next I went into Device Manager and tried to update the driver but the system reported that the driver was up to date. Hmmm...  I then struggled with the Lenovo support centre ( why is it so difficult to navigate?) whare I found a new bluetooth driver (12.0.0.7620/8.0.0.232). This I downloaded but it will not install. It unpacks but, at the installation stage, reports an error 1303 which states that I do not have sufficient priviledges and should log on as Administrator.  As the owner and sole user, I am the administrator, as born out by the User Account.  Can any-one help PLEASE?

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 2,638
Message 2 of 5

Re: Bluetooth and Bluetooth Drivers with Win 8.1

hi MartynS,

Welcome to the Forums.

Just to verify, have you tried to right click on the bluetooth druver and run as Administrator? If you still get errors, navigate to C:\Drivers\Bluetooth. If you have two folders (Atheros and Broadcom), click on the Atheros and launch the setup.exe.

Also, when you open Device Manager and navigate to the Bluetooth Devices, does it say a Generic Bluetooth Device?

bluetooth.jpg

If the bluetooth drivers installs, the Bluetooth Radio above will change from Generoc Bluetooth Radio to either Atheros or Broadcom Bluetooth Radio

Let me know how it goes.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

MartynS
Paper Tape
Views: 2,617
Message 3 of 5

Sorry for the delay - I responded by replying to the notification email and it only just timed out. 

Anyway; yes, I tried all that and still got the 1303 error.

Device Manager shows two bluetooth devices as follows:

Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator

Qualcomm Atheros AR3012 Bluetooth 4.0 + HS

Originally, there were three devices under Bluetooth. The (now) missing one was also a Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator but with some post-script. I did not think to make a note as I did not expext it to disapear.

Regards

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 2,591
Message 4 of 5

hi MartynS,

Can you try to check one of the following to fix the Error 1303 permission error:

Option1:

1. Follow this guide on how to show hidden files and folders

2. Follow this guide on how to take ownership on a file/folder and apply it on:

- Bluetooth Driver Installer

- C:\Users\(your username)

- C:\ProgramData

Option 2:

1. Follow this guide on how to show hidden files and folders

2. Download and install Unlocker and unlock the following files/folder (right click > unlocker > unlock all):

- Bluetooth Driver Installer

- C:\Users\(your username)

- C:\ProgramData

Let me know how it goes

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

MartynS
Paper Tape
Views: 2,584
Message 5 of 5

Hi, and thanks for the suggestion. I am now really confused - read on and you will see why.  I carried out the first part of option 1 in your reply; IE I turned on Show Hidden Files. That is ALL I did. I then decided to try to install the driver, already stored on my HDD, so that I had a baseline to work from and so that I new where the installation was stalling. Guess what; it installed. Perhaps YOU have some idea why but I am sure that I do not. Anyway, it seems to be fixed as Bluetooth is now working again. Thanks for your help. Oh; and if you have any idea why this worked, please let me know. Regards, Martyn.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors