• 8GB DDR3L 1600 Memory
  • 15.6" 1920x1080 LED Glossy Wedge
  • Intel HD Graphics 5000
  • Bluetooth 4.0
  • Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160
  • DVD Recordable (Dual Layer)
  • 4-Cell Lithium-Ion Battery
  • Windows 8.1 (64-Bit)

Initial setup went well. After 4 hours or so while surfing webpages, suddenly it started showing no internet connection and asked to reload webpages. So I looked at the wireless network icon on the bottom right corner which showed full bars. A few seconds later a yellow colored triangle with exclamation mark appeared on the network icon showing no internet and limited internet. 

After turning the wifi off and back on the internet connects and works for few hours. After few hours, it lost internet connectivity again with the same above symptoms. I have this laptop now for 3 days and in past 3 days I had this problem at least 25 times. 

I searched online for solution. Most solutions state to update the driver, which I already tried. I have latest driver. 

Checked a few videos on youtube and did what they suggested, but the problem persists. 

Is there any way the problem could be solved. If not I have less than 2 weeks to return this laptop to Lenovo. I really like the laptop minus the internet dropping feature.

Please help. 

Thanks.

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 26,382
Message 2 of 11

Re: Brand new Lenovo Z50-70 wifi connected but no internet or limited internet

Check this out.

nik1979
Paper Tape
Views: 26,379
Message 3 of 11

I have this problem too and was able to Isolate it to the Wificard really having the problem since I have 2 laptops both with dual boot (giving me a "control" in order to reduce the variables). 

my short term solutiion is to use my Phone's Wifi tetered via USB (which is How I am online now). but this can, in the long run, damage my phone and makes my laptop less mobile. And of course I cannot take my phone with me and leave my Laptop to do updates etc...

I hope they can provide a the list of compatible parts to replace the wificard. If they can give the card options I am happy to  do the research which card is best (less bugs and allows wifi connection even without line of sight). 

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 26,359
Message 4 of 11

@nik1979 wrote:

I have this problem too and was able to Isolate it to the Wificard really having the problem since I have 2 laptops both with dual boot (giving me a "control" in order to reduce the variables). 

my short term solutiion is to use my Phone's Wifi tetered via USB (which is How I am online now). but this can, in the long run, damage my phone and makes my laptop less mobile. And of course I cannot take my phone with me and leave my Laptop to do updates etc...

I hope they can provide a the list of compatible parts to replace the wificard. If they can give the card options I am happy to  do the research which card is best (less bugs and allows wifi connection even without line of sight). 

I'm not sure if the restriction called whitelist is still in effect with the Z50-70. But you can look into the this whitelist in the hardware maintenance manual. If this whitelist is in effect you can only replace the card with the exact part number as listed. You can't use a card with a different part number even if they are of the same model.

I'm also not sure if you are aware of the above.

cnonline
Paper Tape
Views: 26,351
Message 5 of 11

I installed the Intel Driver utility updater and ran auto search updates. It came up with two updates which I installed and restarted my laptop. Hopefully the new driver resolves the problem. So far internet is working fine. If internet keeps working, you win big time.
nik1979
Paper Tape
Views: 26,338
Message 6 of 11

will try on windows side. trying to figure out how that works in the xubuntu 14.04 side.
cnonline
Paper Tape
Views: 26,305
Message 7 of 11

Unfortunately, LenBlezner's solution did not work. I had high hopes that solution would work as I had 2 of the drivers updated using the method LenBlezner suggested. 

Does anyone have a solution to this problem? 

One more thing I would like to add. I have other laptops being used within my house and all laptops run on the same router. Internet on all other laptops work seemless when I get the limited or no internet in my stupid Lenovo laptop. 

It is so frustrating. 

cnonline
Paper Tape
Views: 26,484
Message 8 of 11

I think I found the solution to the limited internet issue on Lenovo. Nothing I invented, it was out there, I found on another forum thread on Lenovo forums. 

Here is the fix:

Uninstall the Lenovo Power Manager software.

Voila. Internet works without cutting off.

antoniocabral97
Blue Screen Again
Views: 23,626
Message 9 of 11

I have the same problem but i can't find Lenovo Power Manager on my laptop, can you help me, please?

@cnonline wrote:

I think I found the solution to the limited internet issue on Lenovo. Nothing I invented, it was out there, I found on another forum thread on Lenovo forums. 

Here is the fix:

Uninstall the Lenovo Power Manager software.

Voila. Internet works without cutting off.

rabto87
What's DOS?
Views: 23,542
Message 10 of 11

I found I only had wifi connection problems when the Lenovo Energy Management options were set to "Power Saver" for the Power Plan and "Maximum Battery Life" for Battery.  So, if for some reason you want/need to keep the Lenovo Power Management software enabled, then you can change these settings to High Performance and Optimized Battery Health, respectively, and it should correct the wifi connection problem.  I found this worked for me when I tested it.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors