Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Vilkas1
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,155
Message 1 of 9

Broken Case Y580 Laptop

My Y580 case broke.  First it started around the plastic "grill" on the heatsink (on the left side of the laptop).  Soon it was the lower portion of the case around the hinge.  Then it was the other side of the laptop near the hinge and despite some gorilla glue and duct tape.  Now my Y580 case is in bad shape.  I went online to buy a new case and see that others have this same problem.  This is definately a design flaw.  It's not just me.  Will Lenovo fix my laptop?  It is out of warranty, but a design flaw is a design flaw.  I would hope Lenovo would like to keep a good name and a good customer.  I'm being honest here - if they don't I'd have to be a bit stupid to buy more from Lenovo.

Guru
Views: 2,099
Message 2 of 9

Re: Broken Case Y580 Laptop

You'll have to ask Lenovo support directly, but most likely since it's plastic that broke, it will be considered physical damage. 

If you'd like the part number to order one, I can give you that. 

Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate and brand advocate (Lenovo INsider). I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Motorola   •IdeaPad   •ThinkPad   •Gaming   •ThinkCentre   •IdeaCentre   •Think Tablets   •Lenovo Tablets

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

Vilkas1
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,077
Message 3 of 9

Thank you for your reply.  Can you tell me the part number and the price?  And what is the email address for support?  I really do believe that this is a design defect since I did nothing untoward with my laptop and others' cases have also broken in a similar fashion.

Guru
Views: 2,073
Message 4 of 9

Here's the part number for the lower case w/ tuner: 90200851

And with tuner: 90200852

Lenovo sells it here: https://lenovo.encompass.com/item/10639855/Lenovo/90200851/Co_Covers

eBay has it here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Laptop-Bottom-Case-For-LENOVO-Ideapad-Y580-With-TV-Tuner-Black-90200851-/282...

Lenovo has support chat at http://support.lenovo.com, or call 1-855-253-6686

Hope that helps Smiley Happy

Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate and brand advocate (Lenovo INsider). I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Motorola   •IdeaPad   •ThinkPad   •Gaming   •ThinkCentre   •IdeaCentre   •Think Tablets   •Lenovo Tablets

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

Vilkas1
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,066
Message 5 of 9

I have gone to the link you provided and looked EVERYWHERE but cannot find the chat.

Guru
Views: 2,063
Message 6 of 9

It could be because support chat isn't availiable for your device, or more likely because it's out of warranty. 

Visit this page for more contact options: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/contactus

1-855-453-6686 is always availiable to call FYI

Regards,
Eric Xu

Vilkas1
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,062
Message 7 of 9

Well, I found it by googling it.  Here it is:  https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/livechat

BUT, this is what I find:  Thank you for contacting Lenovo. Unfortunately, Chat support is not available in your country at this time. Please try again later, or you may choose a different channel to contact us.

Guru
Views: 2,053
Message 8 of 9

Support chat isn't available at this time (they end at 10PM EST). With that being said, you can request a call back: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/ContactUs/Callback_US

Again, you can always call 1-855-253-6686 directly for an agent. 

Regards,
Eric Xu

Vilkas1
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,048
Message 9 of 9

I'll chat with them in the morning.

I have to say I'm disappointed in the lack of quality in my laptop.  I was torn between buying another MacBook or a Windows machine.  I bought the Lenovo.  If you understood the physical structure of the case, you'd agree that there is a design flaw.  And I'm not the only one.  I firmly believe Lenovo should fix my laptop.  If Lenovo doesn't, and it is most certainly their choice, then I know where they stand and it's not behind their product.  I'm then left with the knowledge that if I were to buy Lenovo in the future I would have to accept design flaws that could, as in my present case, make my purchase worthless.  Thus, the obvious thing to do is to buy from some other manufacturer.  I have heard good things about HP laptops.  Well, we shall see what Lenovo says and I'll update this post.  Thanks for your help.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors