Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
jwooden
SCSI Port
Views: 1,760
Message 1 of 8

Broken power tabs to battery

My son dropped his Y510 and weirdly enough the damage was that it broke off two of the tabs that mate the battery to the laptop.

Looking at the battery compartment from the bottom there are 5 brass/copper tabs on the left then a plastic divider, then two more tabs. On my son's machine the two tabs to the far left in the group of five tabs are broken off.

Can this be repaired without major expense?

I have searched for the HMM / Hardware Maintenance Manual for this machine but have not been able to locate it ... I guess Lenovo is not releasing one to the public for this series?

thanks,

Jim

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 1,759
Message 2 of 8

Re: Broken power tabs to battery

jwooden wrote:

I have searched for the HMM / Hardware Maintenance Manual for this machine but have not been able to locate it ... I guess Lenovo is not releasing one to the public for this series?

Lenovo doesn't provide HMMs for their consumer notebooks probably because they're not designed to be repaired by the customer.

keep-calm-it-s-a-thinkpad-sm2.jpg

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane
nonnymouselenovoff1.gif

2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet, Yoga 3 Pro
I AM one of those crazy ThinkPad zealots!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

I am not a Lenovo employee

jwooden
SCSI Port
Views: 1,738
Message 3 of 8

Thanks Jane!

Are you aware of any way for "professionals" to obtain the HMMs?

In addition to having a son with a busted Lenovo laptop, I work for a company that usually spends $200,000 or more with Lenovo every year. We like to do in-house repair when possible. We have been buying Thinkpads in the past, but are considering the Lenovo branded laptops. I'll be adding "HMM availability" to the list of evaluation criteria for our next purchasing cycle and see what the Lenovo sales rep. has to say.

I will post back if I get any information on this .... 

In the mean time if anybody has any tips on replacing the battery contacts I'm all ears....  Smiley Sad

Retired Guru
Views: 1,685
Message 4 of 8

Are you talking about metal contacts that are used to connect battery and laptop? If so - they're connected to motherboard directly and if you are not skillfull enough to solder them back you'll have to replace whole piece.

//help will save the world
jwooden
SCSI Port
Views: 1,680
Message 5 of 8

Yes I think we are talking about the same thing, the small brass "blades" that touch off on the battery contacts.

Several of mine are broken in half, so being soldered directly to the motherboard ... this does sound like a pretty major deal in that I would have to somehow fabricate new blades and unsolder the broken ones then insert my fabricated replacements.

Probably a bit ugly, but I am capable of doing it... alas ... having the HMM would be a GREAT help here so that I would not have to guess the location of the hidden snaps holding the unit together, but it does not appear that I'll be getting one of those.  Smiley Sad

Thanks for the reply, I may try to tackle it without the aid of the HMM!

Retired Guru
Views: 1,673
Message 6 of 8

Thanks for the reply, I may try to tackle it without the aid of the HMM!

No need of that, really.

jsut create a new topic with name "Please help disassembling <%modelname%> and someone (maybe me for example) will give  guide.

Why not doing it here? Answer is simple - this thread is about another topic.

jwooden
SCSI Port
Views: 1,669
Message 7 of 8

Thanks skripatch

In the "tumble" the hard drive and keyboard were also destroyed.

I'm gonna get those fixed and then may tackle the motherboard ... or just have a "tethered" laptop ... which actually may be safer for my son  Smiley Very Happy  as he won't be ABLE to wander around with it still running  ;-)

I'll start new thread if I decided to dive in.... I sure do miss the HMMs though.... I've been using them since the I did a CPU upgrade in a Thinkpad 750 series machine ...  Smiley Sad

Retired Guru
Views: 1,667
Message 8 of 8

Oh, you're obviously old-school user =)

I doubt you even need HMM. Anyway, Ideapads are very simple to disassemble (except U110 one) and jsut in case you still need piese of advise - just create new theme and if no one replies for two days - PM me on that topic.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors