Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SLUdubya
Paper Tape
Views: 1,378
Message 1 of 6

CRITICAL - extremely poor performance after XP downgrade

Not the most tech saavy person, but capable enough. Purchased Lenovo Y510 w/ Vista HP and XP Pro OEM. Need XP for current server compatibility at my office, so did research and successfully downgraded to XP Pro SP3. I'm experiencing serious performance issues which I believe to be related to the Pentium Dual-Core CPU.

1) while startup is lightening quick and without issue, application opening/switching is impossibly slow

2) there is no indication that any of my applications are taxing my processor (ie., no blinking "busy" LED)

I have read other posts and extrapolated some troubleshooting efforts, including updating the BIOS, but to no avail. Please advise!

Retired Guru
Views: 1,346
Message 2 of 6

Re: CRITICAL - extremely poor performance after XP downgrade

Blinking led is for HDD activity, not CPU one. Check please in task manager if CPU load is near 100% while performing actions you mentioned as "slow" and tell here.
//help will save the world
SLUdubya
Paper Tape
Views: 1,337
Message 3 of 6

I'm hard pressed to get the CPU usage near 100% - even while my applications are "frozen" or won't open altogether, the CPU usage never spikes above 60% - and during these periods of inactivity, its at or near 0%
Retired Guru
Views: 1,332
Message 4 of 6

Try copying some files - doesn't matter which and where. Main idea is to make HDD work. During the copy process check CPU utilization.
SLUdubya
Paper Tape
Views: 1,326
Message 5 of 6

did so - copied 4 files totaling appx. 12 mb from network drive to hard disk partition - CPU usage never exceeded 15%
Retired Guru
Views: 1,322
Message 6 of 6

I suggested corrupted HDD controller but it seems to be wrong search branch... Just for case - delete SATA ontroller in device manager and reboot. Is there anything marked yellow in device manager?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors