cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lilia1998
Paper Tape
Views: 6,585
Message 1 of 6

Can Y510p be upgraded or should I get a new laptop?

Hello, I'm new to the forum. I'm still quite confused with how it works here.

I've been using my Y510P since 2014 but I've been wondering if I could upgrade it instead of buying a new one. I'm still trying to learn all the parts in my laptop so bear it with me.

My laptop has Windows 8.1 64 bit, Intel(R) Core (TM) i7 - 4700MQ CPU @2.4GHZ, GeForce GT 755M, 8GB ram, and WDC WD5000LPCX-22VHAT0 disk drive(?). I have like about 100GB space for (CSmiley Happy and 365GB (DSmiley Happy. I have no idea how much I was able to survive with so little space. It was more before my storage died on me. Even my CD drive has a bit of problem.

Is there any else I should add here? Any advice and help could greatly help especially if I'm spending too much money on upgrading and I should just probably buy a new one for my own sake.

chinhchilla
802.11n
Views: 6,554
Message 2 of 6

Re: Can Y510p be upgraded or should I get a new laptop?

Laptops have very little upgradeability. Some things you can upgrade are the ram, the hard disk, and the operating system. You usually can't upgrade the processor or the graphic cards. For the Y510p, I've seen a video where it does look like you can swap out the processor (however you'll have to worry about compatibility with the motherboad). Electronics wear down over time and you shouldn't invest heavily into fixing an old laptop or replacing parts like a dead battery, it costs more than it's worth. If you don't have money to blow on a new laptop, you can get a big performance boost out of your old laptop by upgrading your 5400RPM hard disk (very slow) to a SSD (faster boot time, file transfers, performance on basic tasks). For example, you could get a 500GB Samsung SSD for $150 (even cheaper when it's on sale). Your processor and graphics card should be more than enough if you don't play games. And if later down the line you do decide to buy a new laptop, you can move this SSD to the new laptop.

Over time the laptop can also slow down just from the pileup of programs and files that we put onto the hard drive. You can reset/reformat your laptop (make sure to back all your files up first) for a clean start. If you get the new SSD, you'll have to do this step anyway with installing the operating system on the new drive and moving your files.

If you have the option to, you should definitely buy a new laptop, especially if you plan to game. The current generation of laptop graphic cards have pretty much caught up with desktop video cards and will blow the 755M out of the water. So it's pretty much down to if you play games or not. The Y510P should continue to be fine for normal daily use with just a SSD upgrade.

Lilia1998
Paper Tape
Views: 6,504
Message 3 of 6

Yeah, I do play games and will probably start continue a course on programming and animation. I was worried that my laptop might not be able to keep up with both gaming and my studies with how much power it's going to use. 

Sounds like the preferable choice is to buy a new laptop. Thanks! I'll be sure to check a suitable laptop for my needs from the looks of it. 

AllanDavidson
What's DOS?
Views: 6,487
Message 4 of 6

I also have a y510p, 4700HQ, 16GB DDR3, 750M SLI and a 1TB SSHD on the Sata port.

I will put a 256GB SSD in the M.2 2242 port and use the 1TB as a secondary drive, but I would like to install on the SSD the Windows from the recovery partition. Is it possible?

Thanks.

Guru
Views: 6,401
Message 5 of 6

Hi AllanDavidson

You can try by creating a Lenovo One Key Recovery USB and booting from it, but I doubt you will be able to install full windows off it.

Better way is to download a windows 10 copy using microsoft usb tool and install from there. It will be fresh windows but without lenovo apps and drivers. Make sure you download all drivers beforehand and keep them separate for installing once windows is done.

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
AllanDavidson
What's DOS?
Views: 6,272
Message 6 of 6

Just and update.

My y510p does not have a M.2 2242 slot, the designated area is there and the "SSD" text on the motherboard is there too, but the connector is missing.

I just put a 1TB 850 Evo in the Sata slot, and have been using the original 1TB SSHD as a backup.

I guess the only thing left to upgrade in this laptop is the wifi/bt combo.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors