Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mttp
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 27,054
Message 1 of 6

Can't boot from disk or USB on Ideapad Z710

I'm trying to Install Debian GNU/Linux on my Windows 8 Ideapad Z710, and I can't even get my laptop to boot from external media. From the InsydeH20 Setup Utility, I've so far disabled Secure Boot, set Boot Mode to UEFI, enabled USB Boot, enabled PXE Boot to LAN, and set my EFI boot order to 1) EFI Network 0 for IPv4, 2) EFI Network 0 for IPv6, then 3) Windows Boot Manager (no other options). I'm not actually trying to boot from a network, I just want to boot from the onboard DVD drive or my USB DVD drive. When I boot with these settings, I get the error: EFI Network 0 for IPv4 (...) boot failed, then a similar one for IPv6, then it boots to Windows. Why can't I boot from DVD or USB?

Another thing I've tried is setting Boot Mode to Legacy Support and Boot Priority to Legacy First (with Secure Boot disabled) which results in my laptop booting to straight to Windows even when USB ODD is first in the boot order.

Please tell me how to boot to a Linux DVD or USB on this machine! This was major purchase for me, and if I can't install Linux on it, this laptop is totally useless for me. Please respond.

mttp
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 27,028
Message 2 of 6

Re: Can't boot from disk or USB on Ideapad Z710

Please can anyone help? I just want to boot from a USB or DVD. Is it possible on this machine? I'm willing to do whatever it takes to get this to work.

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 27,018
Message 3 of 6

Try this:

1. Secure Boot disabled.

2. Set Boot Mode to Legacy Support

3. Boot Priority to Legacy First

4. Save and Exit.

5. Shut down computer.

6. Insert your pendrive into usb.

7. Press Novo button.

8. Select Boot menu

9. Select your pendrive and press Enter key.

Note: USB boot must be enabled.

mttp
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 27,008
Message 4 of 6

I have done so, and these steps worked for me. Previously, I only knew to access the boot options by holding Fn-F2. You have my thanks!

kodi2k6
What's DOS?
Views: 25,679
Message 5 of 6

This worked for me:

Start the computer. When the Lenovo logo comes up, immediately press Fn-F12; on the boot sequence menu, select the optical drive as the first boot-up device.
jlmonti
What's DOS?
Views: 3,489
Message 6 of 6

Same here - Allowed me boot up from my USB Flash drive - Thanks for the tip

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors