cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
z51-70user
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,412
Message 1 of 8

Can't get z51-70's graphics card to work after 11 months of trying (m375)

So, no game or application will use my dedicated card, all use the integrated intel 5500 graphics. Tried to fix this many times over the course of 11 months, tried every forum besides this one, tried calling microsoft, amd, and lenovo a few times each, all been incredibly useless.

Things I have tried:

Wiping hardrive

Updating BIOS

Changing BIOS setting

Uninstalling/removing all traces of both intel and AMD drivers in safe mode, then reinstalling them both in safe mode, in both orders (amd first then intel, and vice versa)

setting power settings to max performance

setting radeon switchable graphics to max performance

force stopping intel graphics

rolling back drivers

using lenovo drivers (massively out of date), and using up to date AMD drivers

Using the HDMI and VGA to output to a seperate monitor

a load more stuff that I have forgotten.

Using AMD system monitor I can see that my cpu and ram work fine, but my r9 m375 is constantly at 0%. If I go into radeon settings it recognises it and says it is enabled. But then when I go to "Display" it says "No displays are currently connected to AMD products".

Thinking currently of sueing Lenovo soley for the amount of stress this has caused me! I buy a £850 plus laptop, and the graphics card doesn't work.

I have upgraded the hard drive to an SSD, but because of that Lenovo won't help me, I have had this problem since I had the laptop, changing the hard drive didn't change that atall.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I can do, or a way to contact someone from lenovo who actually knows what they are talking about?

Lunas
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,353
Message 2 of 8

Re: Can't get z51-70's graphics card to work after 11 months of trying (m375)

The problem is your expecting a function that was never intended to be done that way. You will never see devices connected to the m375 because that is not how this laptop implimented dual graphics. In order to use the m375 in any fashion you need to use the amd graphics switching it is the setting maximum performance. It only ever works while plugged in and only the applications set to do so that is why i will never get another amd/intel laptop that only uses a dgpu as a booster like this again... It was designed to be an extreme power saving measure when doing anything but gaming while plugged in, the m375 was to be turned off.

z51-70user
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,345
Message 3 of 8

Yes I know that. But the thing is my laptop *is* plugged in, and all of the power settings in radeon in the switchable graphics *are* on max performance, as well as for the individual games' preferences as well.

Even when I'm plugged in and have all the settings on max etc it still won't work....

Lunas
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,335
Message 4 of 8

From personal experiance i have found that there is either no utilization sensor or no api hooks to read it correctly using amd's monitoring tool it will read utilization but only under the condition that a game using it is running. I have never been able to get it to say the m375 was connected to the display... Annoying yes but I can verify it does work open a game with the setting set to not use the m375 then switch it back with an fps counter up you will see games like neverwinter go from 7-9 fps on high settings with the intel igpu to 24-35 fps on the m375 dgpu if you unplug while gaming most of the time you will just end up with a  crash also in the settings for neverwinter when using graphics switching the game will recognize the m375 as the one it is using.

@z51-70user wrote:

But then when I go to "Display" it says "No displays are currently connected to AMD products".

I have never seen it connect to the m375 for full time use. I dug around a bit when I first picked up this laptop and in some bios of similar setups there is an option to use the amd/nvidia gpu exclusively and turn off the intel igpu but this series either is not capable of doing that or has had that function locked out for some reason. My guess the m375 runs too hot for the cooling provided in this laptop for full time use so rather than fix the issue it was neutered. I know it gets very very hot when gaming to the point it is hard to touch the keyboard in the wasd area particularly the w and e key get the warmest

z51-70user
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,316
Message 5 of 8

Okay, I have just gone into war thunder and done a benchmark on low settings. Kind of confused

First test, as is, everything set to max performance in radion settings. I got an average FPS of 51.2 and a 'score' of 3600~

I go to device manager, disable the m375 and do it again after opening and closing war thunder, get an FPS of 42.2 and a score of 2900~

Then just too be sure, I re enable the m375 and do that one more time, get an average fps of 71.9 and a score of 5012.

All on the same settings, absolutely no clue what is going on there. Maybe to kick it in I have to disable it then re enable it?

Lunas
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,301
Message 6 of 8

Did you explicitly tell war thunders exe to use max performance in amd graphic switching or did you rely on it automatically assigning it. Cause that looks like the first 2 runs and the m375 kicked in on the 3rd run

z51-70user
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,295
Message 7 of 8

Nope it was explicitly told for all 3 times (albeit the second time the graphics card was disabled.)

Also, it was told for both the launcher.exe and the game.exe (don't know if that would make a difference).

I now have it on high settings and can stay above 30fps easily and peak above 60 out of combat. But it seems to run out of VRam very quickly, which I would have thought it would be fine with, when it has 4Gb, anything above medium texture quality and it says I have run out of graphics memory. I know it isn't the best card by any means, but I would have thought it wouldn't struggle in the Vram department untill very high settings, as even the best graphics cards don't tend to have much more than 4gb, and it doesn't stack in SLI.

Am I expecting too much of it, or does this potentially mean the laptop is not utilising all of the avaliable memory/not using Vram/ the Vram is too slow?

Thanks by the way for all the help

Lunas
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,277
Message 8 of 8

Yeah my whole experience with this laptop has left a sour taste in my mouth. I feel that even at launch it was marketed as more than it should have been this even in the highest end config should have been at best 600 this is not a laptop in the 850-900$ class.

I have never had mine run out of ram. What drivers are you using I have the latest from amd and Intel on mine I was able to convince it off the drivers from Lenovo. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors