Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
anticommon
Paper Tape
Views: 6,819
Message 1 of 9

Can't install windows 8 to MSATA drive in y500

Hi, I just got my Lenovo Y500 and Crucial M4 256GB MSATA SSD in the mail last week, and I've been trying since then to do a clean instal of windows 8 onto the SSD as opposed to the HDD. There are a couple fundamental problems with this though and hopefully someone can help me get this thing working.

1 - In order to download a copy of windows 8 to instal I need a windows 8 key which I don't have since they are now integrated into the bios

2 - I downloaded a copy of windows 8 pro (from my upgrade I did on my other PC) and I can't even use that to instal windows with because I have no place to enter the CD key for the upgraded version (it simply pulls the CD key from the bios and tells me it is incompatible with windows 8 pro)

So, does anyone know how I can get this to work? I think that if I had an iso or bootable file for windows 8 (regular not pro) I could simply plug that in reinstall windows 8, but it doesn't seem like I can download one of these ISO's ANYWHERE. 

Tinderbox_UK
Broadband 3G
Views: 6,807
Message 2 of 9

Re: Can't install windows 8 to MSATA drive in y500

Have a look at the thread below, specificaly the last post.

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-Z-and-P-series/Windows-8-deactivated-after-BIOS-version-93...

also here

http://download.lenovo.com/lenovo/content/windows8/upgrade/think/notebook5_en.html

John.

Win7 Lenovo Ideapad Z580 i5-3210m HD4000 Win7 x64 8gb 1600MHz Samsung 830 256GB SSD
anticommon
Paper Tape
Views: 6,795
Message 3 of 9

Looks like I can't even get a downloadable ISO or USB drive to do the installation to begin with. When I go to download a copy of windows 8 online it simply tells me that the product key I got using the tool you mentioned is not valid for a retail version of windows 8.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 6,775
Message 4 of 9

Are you shooting for a clean install or just to migrate to SSD?

Have you tried making a recovery USB flash drive, pulling the HDD, and doing a recovery to SSD?

Methodology to create Recovery Media and reload a Lenovo system with Microsoft Windows 8 preload

(says "Think" but applies to Idea too.)

That isn't "clean" but at least gets 8 on the SSD.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

anticommon
Paper Tape
Views: 6,730
Message 5 of 9

Looks like I need to find my 16gb flash drive, then. I've got an 8GB drive kicking around but it's not enough I don't think.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 6,724
Message 6 of 9

I made a recovery drive yesterday on an new Y580.  Took about 14G.  Probably varies, depending on machine type.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

fghxu
What's DOS?
Views: 6,632
Message 7 of 9

What I did is use the Windows 8 install disc install with the BIOS key. it installs the basic version of windows 8. which does not has the remote desktop feature. then from the WIndows system menu, I entered the Windows Ultimate version key. the system went through the "add feature" process. then a reboot. It appearantly upgraded the higher Windows 8 version. because now it has the remote desktop feature. Hope this helps.
brian26
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,608
Message 8 of 9

I'm having this same issue, I only read the first 3 posts though so I apologize if there's an answer for this. Same SSD I just need the **bleep** Product Key, Windows 8 makes it impossible I haven't been able to use my computer for four days because I've wasted every night trying to figure out how to get this retarded OS installed.

brian26
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,607
Message 9 of 9

I would like to do a clean install, I've heard it's best for the SSD, but I'm guessing as of right now that's impossible?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors