cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pete_agreatguy
Token Ring
Views: 925
Message 1 of 12

Can you put backup system image and repair boot disk on same media?

Hi all,

I'm creating a backup system image of my Z580 windows 8.1 pro installation as I don't have a onekey recovery partition available.

I'm using this guide How To Create A Backup System Image/ Repair Boot Disk in Windows 7,8 and 10

My question is, is it possible to put these both on a USB 3 flash drive? Or is that not feasible, I.e. I have to put the system image on flash and the repair boot disk on a CD/DVD?

Thanks for any help in advance, Pete Smiley Happy
tripplec
Bit Torrent
Views: 884
Message 2 of 12

Re: Can you put backup system image and repair boot disk on same media?

You want to use a stand alone application that you can restore the image you backed up to the same or a replacement hard drive. This is independant of any other software other than a boot recovery DVD which you can create from for such backup application.

I currently use AOMEI Backupper 3.5 which has a free version. You can backup a entire HD (all partitions or select which partition you want to be in the image. Always backup to a different physical drive, internal or external which is best. Forget about that above method it will let you down. Once done if you want you can boot from a bootable CD/DVD and access the image to see you have access but don't have to go further and actually do the restore. Most other methods have no means of testing or verifying the image created. A commercial package such as Trueimage does the same thing but its too expensive now and I stopped using it after about 8 years of use.
T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QMbr>; Nvidia NVS 4200M Win 10 64bit
Z70-80 I7 - 5500U 16GB GB - 1TB HD Win 10 64bit FHD 17.3", G840 w/2GB

pete_agreatguy
Token Ring
Views: 882
Message 3 of 12

Thank you for your advice.

I've had major issues with it already. I tried testing (restoring) the system image using the windows 8.1 pro system repair disk (advanced, restore from system image). After a minute I received an error "The volume does not contain a recognnised file system. Please make sure all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted. Error code: 0X800703ED". When I tried to reboot into Windows I got an error code 0xc00000f Your PC needs repair screen. Currently I'm installing windows 7 to re create a USB OEM install of win 8.1 pro.

Could this happen because the laptop came with windows 8.1 rather than 8.1 pro? I.e. the key stored in the bios is not the same as the one I use for the pro as that has a separate one (and isn't stored in the bios)?

Or is it because I formatted the drive as GPT rather than MBR? I thought this wouldn't matter as my bios is set to boot in uefi mode only.

If I need to create a different thread let me know.
tripplec
Bit Torrent
Views: 879
Message 4 of 12

Most likely because you changed the format used.I never used integrate OEM backup neither Microsoft supplied or Any computer oem built in tool.

tripplec
Bit Torrent
Views: 876
Message 5 of 12

Win 8 and Win 10 will have more than one partition so wiping the HD will also create problems unless there are no partitons at all they should recreated them. The operative function is SHOULD any good application will do that. It will also format the partitions accordingly as well

pete_agreatguy
Token Ring
Views: 855
Message 6 of 12

Well after reading around I'm no closer to my answer as to why it didn't work, however I've managed to reinstall windows 8.1 pro after installing 7 temporarily (had to change bios to legacy mode for some reason). In 7 I used seatools to check the drive and it passed every test so it's not a hardware issue. Also checked ram with memtest86+ with no errors. I suspect it's a simple windows 8 issue as plenty of people are complaining. It wasn't anything to do with it being a GPT partition (see here).

There is a way to create a new onekey recovery (see this post). Put that in here as the solution as it saves buying new system recovery disks.

Though I'm opting to go with the option of using that system image software (Backupper Standard) you use as it has a lot of good reviews. I've got Symantec's System Recovery 2013 and used that in the past so I'll try this free software and see which is best.

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 841
Message 7 of 12

@pete_agreatguy wrote:

Well after reading around I'm no closer to my answer as to why it didn't work, however I've managed to reinstall windows 8.1 pro after installing 7 temporarily (had to change bios to legacy mode for some reason). In 7 I used seatools to check the drive and it passed every test so it's not a hardware issue. Also checked ram with memtest86+ with no errors. I suspect it's a simple windows 8 issue as plenty of people are complaining. It wasn't anything to do with it being a GPT partition (see here).

There is a way to create a new onekey recovery (see this post). Put that in here as the solution as it saves buying new system recovery disks.

Though I'm opting to go with the option of using that system image software (Backupper Standard) you use as it has a lot of good reviews. I've got Symantec's System Recovery 2013 and used that in the past so I'll try this free software and see which is best.

"...There is a way to create a new onekey recovery (see this post). Put that in here as the solution as it saves buying new system recovery disks..." Actually the procedure described in the link is described in a old and closed down link (Evozi). 

I've made a single usb stick and place all the original programs/drivers including the OS with a provision on resizing C and D. Search DIY project in this forum if interested.

pete_agreatguy
Token Ring
Views: 833
Message 8 of 12

Hi LenBlazer,

Thanks for your reply. I could only find this post. Is this what you were referring to? If not, could you please provide a link? Thanks.

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 825
Message 9 of 12

@pete_agreatguy wrote:

Hi LenBlazer,

Thanks for your reply. I could only find this post. Is this what you were referring to? If not, could you please provide a link? Thanks.

That is the link but refer to message 64 for the project.

pete_agreatguy
Token Ring
Views: 822
Message 10 of 12

My apologies, I can't see post numbers (I'm viewing from a tablet and requesting desktop version isn't working). Please could you provide a direct link? Thanks :-)

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors