Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
gumaguma
Paper Tape
Views: 10,999
Message 1 of 16

Cannot Change HDD or user password on lenovo y500

Hi guys, i have Lenovo y500 SLI , i7 3630 8gb ram, 1 tb HDD with 16ssd hybrid drive. bios version 1.05

The only problem i have is that i set my bios password and after HDD password. so everytime i start computer after restart for example, i have to write down my passwords. i set the same password for everything, so its easy. The only problem i have is that i cannot change or cancel this password. had or user. when i try it, bios tells me -

system can only disable or clear user password by administrator or master password - continue - .

and i can change only the user password, but cannot clear it. and set HDD password is grey, cannot enter it. I want to sell my laptop, but the buyer wants the HDD password to be removed.. any solutions? its realy weird. In other laptops it was easy, just set old password, and then press enter on blank space and the password is gone. but not in here, what should i do? thanks

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 10,984
Message 2 of 16

Re: Cannot Change HDD or user password on lenovo y500

Good day and welcome to the community.

Sorry that your having difficulty, but please remember that discussion of passwords is a sensitive subject per the Community Guidelines. If this thread strays into forbidden territory, posts will be moderated and the thread will be locked.

With that in mind, please refer to manual page 24 of your Hardware Maintenance Manual:

http://support.lenovo.com/en_FI/detail.page?DocID=UM016512 for the allowable information regarding your machine's BIOS / HDD / ADMIN passwords.

Regards.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee.

gumaguma
Paper Tape
Views: 10,928
Message 3 of 16

Thank you. No i dont need any passwords.i am just asking if i can change or cancel my hdd password. Because i do have the password and i am legal owner of my machine. When i had set the hdd password before, there was an option in bios acessable- set hdd password. I did it. But now after 5 months i would like to change my hdd password. But in bios the option set- hdd password is grey and not acessable. So i was wondering what should i do. If there is no way to change it than so be it. But i thought it will be easy. And i dont need any password because i know the passwords for my laptop Smiley Happy i am not trying to go against community rules i am awarecof it. In manual on page 24 doesnt say nothing about changing it. Thank you
Lenovo Support Partner
Views: 10,914
Message 4 of 16

Hi gumaguma,

To disable the current HDD password, you need to remove the "Master Password". To remove your  Master Password, first you should select "Change Master Password" on the securty tab, and on the first line, enter your current password, then leave the other lines as blank and hit enter. Then your user and master password will be disabled. 

Hope this helps

Have a good day

gumaguma
Paper Tape
Views: 10,848
Message 5 of 16

hi, i tryed it all, but there is no such option. this is realy weird.. i made some pictures to show you whats is going on in my bios Smiley Happy

this is all i can see, only set user password and change user password. when i try to change it by your advice to blank, just press empty space on new password and confirm password, this happends -

...................................................................... my password is only two letters ...

than is time for new password. it accepts and change to any password, but to remove it or make it clear without password, this happends -

than if i try this same with the other open blue icon- change user password, the same happend -

there are no other options. Notice the Hdd password is on unlock, grey without chance to enter it. Also set hard disk password is on grey. I have no problems to enter my system, bios or windows, i have all the passwords. Its just this little thing. What you think guys? i tryed open the laptop, take out hdd, do the same, change the passwords, what was possible only for system, and nothing. same results... Please look in to it if you have time, thank you for fast responds, i hope there is something we can do about it. my bios is 1.05

gumaguma
Paper Tape
Views: 10,844
Message 6 of 16

Link to image

Moderator note: images totalling more than 50k converted to links per forum rules:  Lenovo Community Participation Rules

gumaguma
Paper Tape
Views: 10,842
Message 7 of 16

And the whole process of changing- set user password, and change user password thing

Link to image

Moderator note: images totalling more than 50k converted to links per forum rules:  Lenovo Community Participation Rules

Lenovo Support Partner
Views: 10,824
Message 8 of 16

Hi again gumaguma,

Let's make everything clear.
Below, there are the different password types in your security tab in a default BIOS

1- Administrator Password
2- HDD Password

When you set the Administrator Password, User Password option gets enables, and you can enter a User Password

When you try to set the HDD Password, BIOS asks you to Create a Master Password first. After entering your Master Password, you can enter a HDD Password
So it works like this

1- Administrator Password
   a. User Password
2- HDD Password
   a. Master Password
   b. HDD Password

To change user password, you must enter the Administrator Password at least once when you enter the BIOS(Either you creat it for the first time, change it, or enter the Administrator Password when you open the BIOS)

As i can see in the pictures, your Administrator Password, User Password and HDD passwords are installed. Since you have your HDD Password installed, it means that you also have a Master Password.

In regards please do the following steps
1- Enter BIOS/Security tab
2- Select Administrator Password
3- Enter your current Administrator Password on the first line, leave the other lines blank and hit enter. (Note: This way you will disable your Administrator Password. When you disable the Administrator Password, your User password will be disabled too, since it can't be crated without an Administrator Password)
4- Now you are able to change your Master Password. Select Master Password and do the same process in step 3 to diasble it(Note: After you disable your Master Password, your HDD password will be disable too, since HDD password can't be created without a Master Password)

Please let us know if you have any troubles with any of the steps

Regards

Note: These steps can be different in different versions of BIOS.

gumaguma
Paper Tape
Views: 10,810
Message 9 of 16

thank you for your respond, but it didnt worked. simply because in my bios security tab i have only two options, and thats 1-- set user password--

2-- change user password--

nothing like change admin password. Is that problem of BIOS? i mean, shall i update bios? or that is impossible. Such a little think its so complicated

I also tryed to change -- change user password as first, than save, restart and go back and also upside down, i tryied literary everything that is possible. But anytime i will hit enter on new password and confirm password, it shows me that Blue creen that i have to change admin password and etc.. but there is no way to enter admin password... Maybe if there is a way to unlock BIOS? ver. 1.05?

I realy have no idea, have a look at the pictures one more time, you will see that only avaiable options for edit are USER PASSWORD ONES,and both of them allow me to change the password, but not to remove it. WEIRD Smiley Happy

Lenovo Support Partner
Views: 10,803
Message 10 of 16

Now i had a chance to create the same environment as yours in a insydeH20 BIOS.

It won't allow you to change your Administrator Password because you are typing your User Password to enter BIOS. That's why you are not able to change or remove your Administrator Password or Master Password since you won't have privilages to change those with a user password.

When you are entering BIOS, please use your Administrator Password, then you will be able to remove the passwords

Regards

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors