Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DjBuss
Blue Screen Again
Views: 5,620
Message 1 of 8

Changing HDD for SSD and using factory recovery disc

Hi guys, I`ve just received my new notebook and I had already bought the SSD drive I would like to use with it.

In the first moment I thought it would as easy as described here https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-Z-and-P-series/Guide-replace-HDD-with-SSD-Lenovo-Y480/td-... but my notebook has the windows 8 and the OKR 8.0 and I can't find the option to create recovery discs. 

I found out that I can make a recovery media, a pen drive with at least 16Gb, to recovery the system. I would like to make the same with DVDs.

Can someone help me to either create the recovery discs or to reinstall the windows 8 from scratch with the same license key (not even sure if I have one) the one preinstalled in my notebook?

Tinderbox_UK
Broadband 3G
Views: 5,610
Message 2 of 8

Re: Changing HDD for SSD and using factory recovery disc

Windows 7

I tried to use the factory recovery dvd`s from my Z580 that came with an 500gb hdd to transfer on an 256gb ssd , it gets almost to abot 70% of recovering to the ssd and then give a internal error or something, i tried it twice, I dont know if it was expecting an 500gb hdd and suddenly run out of space on a 256gb ssd, but it did not work for me.

I just used Acronis 2012 to clone my hdd and then wrote the image to my 256gb hdd, everything works fine but one key recovery will not work as the c: partiton has to be resized to fit on the 256gb ssd and that breaks the OKR but everything else works.

John.

Win7 Lenovo Ideapad Z580 i5-3210m HD4000 Win7 x64 8gb 1600MHz Samsung 830 256GB SSD
DjBuss
Blue Screen Again
Views: 5,566
Message 3 of 8

It breaks the OKR and you have to keep that partition useless then? 

I'm not sure if the recovery partition is created to install the windows or just to make the OKR work.

I'll try it with Windows 8 but maybe it won't work because in your case, windows 7 would have the OKR disc recovery option working.

DjBuss
Blue Screen Again
Views: 5,499
Message 4 of 8

I'm following what I have found in this post:

I have been having problems with the ISO part, I cant get it directly from microsoft. 

One flow that I took in the first place told me to download using the serial key, but I couldn't find my own serial key.

It's in the BIOS setup, although i decided to download and install a windows 8 ISO i found on the web and then hope to have it activate by the serial key in the BIOS.

If everything works fine I'll let you know.

DjBuss
Blue Screen Again
Views: 5,472
Message 5 of 8

To finish my own topic I'll post what i have done:

1 - I created the recovery flash drive with the original HDD, just in case i have to put it back for warranty reasons.

2 - I installed the Paragon Backup and Recovery 12 Home http://www.paragon-software.com/home/brh/ free trial (don download the free tool because it's a different tool than the "12 Home" tool.

3 - I Plugged my SSD drive to the USB port as with the help of a external case.

4 - After installing the tool and having the SSD drive formatted I clicked on "Copy an Migration" and then in "Hard Disk Migration".

5 - Select you origin HDD

6 - Select your destination SSD

7 - Go next untill it presents a screen where you have to opt for "Yes, apply the changes phisically" and next again.

8 - Once it finishes you just have to replace the HDD with the SSD and it's magically done.

All the credits goes to the following thread and to the user "theog" of that forum list

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/17083-how-migrate-os-new-hard-disk.html 

hariraj96
Token Ring
Views: 4,734
Message 6 of 8

can it restore ork recovery partition ?

KanzlerDE
Paper Tape
Views: 4,134
Message 7 of 8

That's not exactly what I'm looking for. I want a clean install, so I don't want to simply copy my entire hdd to my new ssd. I want to create a factory default recovery media, but Lenovo seems to hide this option from us now.

pcparts4chips
What's DOS?
Views: 649
Message 8 of 8

Make sure you resize your original hdd partitions before you do any of what you plan to do because your drives are not the same size and the SSD is smaller. I was abel to do successful clones however i can't get the clone to boot even with a sector for sector. I made sure that when finished all values were identical. free space is the only thing different I think I need a tool to mark which partition shoudl be active for EFI and all the funky partitions that are hidden that UEFI uses... a royal pain.

I am now trying the recovery disk mode of doing things. Stay tuned.

Top Kudoed Authors