Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tiborand
Paper Tape
Views: 1,876
Message 1 of 3

Changing Y70 AZERTY keyboard to QWERTY

Hi,

Recently I bought a Y70 laptop and I needed a QWERTY keyboard but I got AZERTY. Is there any way I can change this without having to send it back? 

thanks

tiborand
Paper Tape
Views: 1,866
Message 2 of 3

Re: Changing Y70 AZERTY keyboard to QWERTY

Also does a y50-70 keyboard fit the y70-70 ?

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,856
Message 3 of 3

Re: Changing Y70 AZERTY keyboard to QWERTY

hi tiborand,

If you have experience in laptop disassembly and you're looking to physically change the keyboard into an English (QWERTY) version then you can change this but it's not cost effective and you will need to keyboard bezel as the keyboard is attached to the Upper Case.

- Sample image

- Sample item

Note:

Depending on the place where you purchase the system, some stores put warranty stickers on the screw slots where any signs of tampering voids the warranty. If you have these warranty stickers, I recommend you contact the place of purchase and let them replace the keyboard bezel (fees may apply for the new keyboard and labor).

Alternatively, you can also try to remap the keys so that when you press the letters AZERTY, it will display as QWERTY on the screen (no need to physically replace the keyboard). If this method works for you,. try to use Sharpkeys or similar utility to remap the keys.

Map Any Key to Any Key on Windows 7 / XP / Vista (works also in Win8 / 8.1)

As for the Y50-70 keyboard bezel, this may not work due to different part number (BIOS whitelist) and/or physical configuration (i.e., Number of USB ports are different, HDMI port location is not the same, etc.)

More info:

Y40/Y50 hardware maintenance manual (see page 81-83 for system location)

Y70 hardware maintenance manual (see page 62-32 for system location)

Lenovo Y40, Y50, Y70 Video Disassembly

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors