Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Laregina
Not applicable
Views: 3,968
Message 1 of 12

Charging Port Cracked

Hi All and Happy New Year!

Hopefully someone can help me.   I have a Lenovo Z570 laptop with a cracked charging port which means that the jack doesn't fit tightly anymore and therefore the laptop dosen't charge.   Does anyone know if this can be repaired?

This is a great laptop and I don't want to discard it!   It is out of warranty, but only 21 months old.

Many thanks

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Zehnsteine
Not applicable
Views: 3,956
Message 2 of 12

Re: Charging Port Cracked

Hi Laregina,

Happy New Year to You!

Please have a look at IdeaPad Z570 DC Power Jack harness sales on eBay...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0&_nkw=z570+dc+jack&_sacat=0&_fr...

These may come in handy...

Lenovo Z370/Z470/Z570 Hardware Maintenance Manual ...

http://download.lenovo.com/UserFiles/UserGuide/en/User%27s%20guides%20and%20manuals/Z370&Z470&Z570/L...

Z570 Service Training Video...

http://service.lenovo.partner-management.com/content/CourseWarePublic/6560/index.html

Good Luck...  Zehn

Laregina
Not applicable
Views: 3,947
Message 3 of 12

Many thanks Zehn! Will check out your links today.
Laregina
Not applicable
Views: 3,938
Message 4 of 12

Hi Zehn,

I've had a quick look at your links.   I've never tinkered with hardware on a laptop before and I'm presuming that this involves removing the outer cover and  jack?  Under 'disassembly'  I can't see the jack, only other parts of the laptop.   Also will this involve any soldering, or is it an easy quick job?

Sorry if anything I've said shows ignorance, but I'm a newbie at hardware, but quite good with software problems!

Thanks for your continued help!

Majestic
Not applicable
Views: 3,928
Message 5 of 12

The power jack is held in place with screws.  Page 74 of the Hardware Maintenance Manual shows a diagram of the Power Assembly in question.

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

Zehnsteine
Not applicable
Views: 3,921
Message 6 of 12

Laregina, unfortunately the Z570 laptop need to get disassembled to quite some extent to reach the DC power jack.
As newbie may need a tech savvy friend to help you.

May consult Lenovo Tech Support about the cost of repairing your machine...
http://support.lenovo.com/en_TH/feedback/detail.page?LegacyDocID=MIGR-76613

Zehn

Laregina
Not applicable
Views: 3,912
Message 7 of 12

Hi Majestic,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.  

Have had a look (on a netbook!), and maybe it's just me, but can't see where it shows specifically how to replace the power jack.   I'm guessing that there's a lot to remove first, as Zehn suggested??

Majestic
Not applicable
Views: 3,900
Message 8 of 12

The removal of the Power Assembly isn't written out step by step.  It's basically consists of the diagram noting the removal of a couple of screws.  Since Power Jacks are a frequently replaced item on laptops, I would have thought Lenovo would have dedicated at least a paragraph on how to do.

I've done quite few Power Jacks on several brands although I have yet to do one on a Z570, the process usually requires various degrees of disassembly in order to replace.  Check out this YouTube video on a Z570 disassembly.  It will give you an idea on what is all involved. The power jack is under the metallic square in the upper left corner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqN1m5zhnww

If you are not comfortable working inside your laptop then it is best left for factory service or a friend or relative that is comfortable with the disassembly and reassembly.  Overall it isn't a difficult job since the Power Jack isn't soldered to the motherboard.  You just have to take your time, not force anything and keep track of all the disassembled parts.  I've found a muffin tin works very well to keep all the screws and little items separated.  I label each muffin compartment for where the various items go such as keyboard screws, bottom screws, etc.   Good luck in resolving the problem!  

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

Laregina
Not applicable
Views: 3,888
Message 9 of 12

Hi Majestic

I'm  (unfortunately!) the most tech savvy person I know, so I guess it's me, or I try and find a service repair shop!   It is a pity that Lenovo haven't detailed a section on how to replace the power jack  -  c'est la vie!

I'll check out the youtube video first and then decide!   Once again, many thanks for that and for all your help.

Zehnsteine
Not applicable
Views: 3,876
Message 10 of 12

Laregina... if you decide to take the plunge, please take many pictures from any imaginable angle

at every step of disassembling the machine.
This will be of great help later at assembly time to answer very common questions like...

"where to connect this strange red (or green.. or... or...) wire?"

Good Luck

Zehn

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors