Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
drewvoros
Fanfold Paper
Views: 529
Message 1 of 3

Coming from Macs - Y50 partition resize w/ recovery still working

Hi everyone!

New to the forum here and new Y50 owner. (Also switching back to PC after the past 5 years on mac... so a little rusty).

So I will be receiving my new Y50 tomorrow in the mail. After the prerequisite bloatware removal and installing a few programs I'd like to create a recovery backup so I'll be safe. Now before I do that I'd like to re-size my 1TB HD partitions into a smaller C: drive for my OS and programs and a larger D: drive for my files and media (at least this is what I've read to do for best practices reasons).

I've read that I will encounter issues by resizing partitions and having the still unfamiliar to me preinstalled recovery software (One Key Recovery) still working.

1. So my question is if I want to resize the partitions in the manner described (again suggested as best practices from my readings - smaller C: drive for programs and OS and larger D: drive for files and media) how should I do this without screwing up One Key Recovery?

2. Also have researched using Macrium Reflect or just the built in Windows System Image Backup Back up your programs, system settings, and files - Windows Help
Any advantages to using One Key Recovery over Macrium or the stock Windows backup?

Sorry if all this is a bit novice but I'm coming from the past 5 years of exclusively using Mac where I only worried about my automated time machine back ups. Smiley Embarassed
drewvoros
Fanfold Paper
Views: 498
Message 2 of 3

Re: Coming from Macs - Y50 partition resize w/ recovery still working

any help? just a bit confused. Saw from another thread that the stock partitioning of the Y50 will give a very large C: drive of 887GB and a small D: of 24.9GB (I'm assuming the rest of the 1 TB is hidden).

Is it really best practice to make a smaller C: drive for just OS and programs and another larger D: drive for media and files?

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 475
Message 3 of 3

Re: Coming from Macs - Y50 partition resize w/ recovery still working

" ...I'd like to create a recovery backup so I'll be safe. Now before I do that I'd like to re-size my 1TB HD partitions into a smaller C: drive for my OS and programs and a larger D: drive for my files and media (at least this is what I've read to do for best practices reasons)."

That may not be a good idea. Why not do the backup first before doing the resizing? Although you might not be able to restore using the backup but there are ways on how to do it rather than resizing first which might result in you not able to do the backup..

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors