cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KrissKross
What's DOS?
Views: 4,117
Message 1 of 8

Computer Won't Boot After Upgrading RAM, Lenovo Y510 Ideapad, Windows Vista, 2GB to 4GB RAM

Hi,

I'm hoping this is the right place, I'm having some problems and I don't know where to turn...

I do a lot of work with video, my original computer was too slow so I decided to upgrade the hdd (to 500GB 7200rpm) and add ram. (The hdd works like a dream!)

I went through corsair.com and they showed me a list of compatible ram products. I then took the info I learned from their site down to my local computer store and bought the 4GB Kit. (Corsair RAM suggestions for the Lenovo Y510, I bought the highlighted 4GB Kit)

After reading and watching a few things on installing ram it seemed simple enough so I went ahead with it and removed the two 1GB sticks out and put the two new 2GB sticks in.

When I started up the computer...nothing happened. The lights go on I hear the fan and feel the hdd spinning but nothing on the screen for me to select. I tried waiting 30 seconds before installing the sticks, I tried alternating sticks, putting in one at a time even. I even put the old sticks back in. Still nothing. Sites say press f2 at start-up, still nothing, and they say press f8 to go into safe mode again nothing. A blank screen.

My instruction manual tells me that there is no software to download and that BIOS in the POST process should detect the newly installed ram.

What's going on?  Did I blow out my screen???

I know I'm way past the warranty...so I'm wondering who I call/ speak with?  Do I send it in to Lenovo to get it fixed?  How much will it cost me?

So please any insight as to what is wrong and how to fix it would just be great! My life is on that laptop!! 

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!!  Thanks in advance!!!!!

~Kris

ooter37
Punch Card
Views: 4,092
Message 2 of 8

Re: Computer Won't Boot After Upgrading RAM, Lenovo Y510 Ideapad, Windows Vista, 2GB to 4GB RAM

You say the computer experiences the same problem even with the old RAM? If that's the case, the most likely scenario is that you are installing it improperly. You can take your computer to a local computer repair center and ask them to quickly show you how to install RAM. It should be a very quick fix, so don't pay someone to do this. Even a knowledgeable salesperson at a computer store would be able to look at it and fix it.

Alternatively, it is possible you damaged both the old RAM and the new RAM (very unlikely, but I suppose possible via extreme static discharge?). Or you somehow damaged the motherboard or other component (I don't see how this could possibly happen, unless you did something incredibly wrong, and even then it would be hard). 

KrissKross
What's DOS?
Views: 4,051
Message 3 of 8

Re: Computer Won't Boot After Upgrading RAM, Lenovo Y510 Ideapad, Windows Vista, 2GB to 4GB RAM

This is so weird.  After reading your response this morning after two days without touching the laptop after the incident I (for the heck of it) tried turning it on.  And this time, EUREKA!  lol.  Some black magic I must say that it worked!  I am writing from it now.  Although...I must say that I have one of the new 2GB sticks in one of the slots.  So I'm pretty much back to what the computer was when I originally started.

I worried, as you said, that I had fried both sets of sticks or worse that I blew the screen or the mobo.  Seems neither happened... (I hope!)

I re-read another RAM installation article and it mentioned if it doesn't boot and you hear beeps that its not sitting right or the new RAM isn't compatible.  Yet I never heard any beeps just had a blank screen...so that was strange.

Being back where I started I still need the upgrade.  Now one of my questions (I will take it and ask at my local computer store where I purchased the RAM how to do it properly!) is can my Lenovo Y510 running Windows Vista 32-bit take the upgrade to 4GB or will I be lucky getting away with 3GB or am I stuck with the 2GBs?

Thanks so much for the response and the insight I greatly appreciate it!!!!

ooter37
Punch Card
Views: 4,005
Message 4 of 8

Ya, make sure you install the RAM correctly. I think a 32 bit system can function with 4GB installed, but will only utilize 3GB. If you have a shared memory video processor, the computer might be able to use 1GB for that and the other 3 for the system. Not sure.

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 3,991
Message 5 of 8

true, 1 gb goes to video ram.

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,984
Message 6 of 8

@yigit wrote:

true, 1 gb goes to video ram.

To my knowledge, shared video RAM will be taken from the 3G usable, not from the "missing" 1G.

32 bit processors have 4G of address space.  Actually with PAE enabled, they can address more than 4G but IIRC IIRC, Microsoft stopped enabling PAE around XP SP1 or 2 because of 3rd party driver problems.

This 4G of address space has to be divided between accessible RAM and whatever devices are installed that require their registers and memory to be mapped into the processor's address space.  MS (and Lenovo) have chosen to reserve ~1G of address space for installed - and future - devices to use.

RAM above 3G is simply not addressable, and therefore is unusable.  Unless some very fance tricks are being done, any usable RAM, including RAM shared with a video "card" has to come from the addressable 3G.

RAM _installed_ on a video card does not subtract from the addressable 3G of system RAM.  It gets mapped into the reserved 1G of address space.

Just picking nits here,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 3,964
Message 7 of 8

check this image

also cedric has found an explanation

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
sassafras409
What's DOS?
Views: 1,272
Message 8 of 8

Thank you yigit. Those links explained it all for me. I have an Ideapad Y510, Core 2 Duo T8100 with 2 GB RAM, OS Vista 32 bit. All of my information for the laptop says the memory is upgradable to 4 GB, so silly me, I bought 2 - 2GB sticks and installed them. I also had the black screen, no access to bios, but everything seemed to be running. I've installed memory before, but just to be sure, I took them out, reinstalled, then tried again. Black screen. I then put the two old 1 GB sticks back in, and it worked. I did this many times hoping for a different outcome - insane right? lol

Anyway, I didn't want to have to return them, so spent hours searching the internet with no luck. Then, I found your post and read the explanation on the blog link. My system must be one that won't even try to work with all 4 GBs installed, so I left one of the old 1GB sticks in and installed a 2GB stick in the second slot. The system recognizes all of the memory and it works great. Thank you so much. I just wish that information had been easier to find.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors