Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
weregoingunion
Punch Card
Views: 2,408
Message 1 of 5

Create a Recovery Drive vs. Bootable OKR drive

So I followed guides to create a bootable OKR factory image.  I but the OKR (NO OS) image on a flash drive, copied the hidden partitions, put them in the correct places, etc.  Only thing left is to test it.

BUT I just tried the Windows 8 function "Create a Recovery Drive" and I left the box checked that grabs info from recovery partition.  And what do you know?  A bootable drives that looks nearly identical to the PBR_DRV\OKRBackup\Factory folder that I grabbed from the PBR_DRV partition. 

Only difference is "install.wim" is broken down into multiple "install.swm" files and there is a "boot.wim" file on the Windows USB.

So my questions are:

1) Won't this STILL install a factory copy of Windows with all of the same partitions?  I'm guessing it just creates the partitions but does not copy the OKR contents over to them.  So you would have a way to reinstall Windows but NOT have the OKR function?

2) Even if you've screwed up all your partitions and your OKR, wouldn't this still work?  It has the install.wim file that installs Windows and it has the instructions to recreate the partitions as they are on factory default.

3) Is the reason everyone wants to create a bootable OKR drive because they get both a factory Windows AND still have OKR in tact?

Thanks.

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,392
Message 2 of 5

Re: Create a Recovery Drive vs. Bootable OKR drive

@weregoingunion wrote:

So I followed guides to create a bootable OKR factory image.  I but the OKR (NO OS) image on a flash drive, copied the hidden partitions, put them in the correct places, etc.  Only thing left is to test it.

BUT I just tried the Windows 8 function "Create a Recovery Drive" and I left the box checked that grabs info from recovery partition.  And what do you know?  A bootable drives that looks nearly identical to the PBR_DRV\OKRBackup\Factory folder that I grabbed from the PBR_DRV partition. 

Only difference is "install.wim" is broken down into multiple "install.swm" files and there is a "boot.wim" file on the Windows USB.

So my questions are:

1) Won't this STILL install a factory copy of Windows with all of the same partitions?  I'm guessing it just creates the partitions but does not copy the OKR contents over to them.  So you would have a way to reinstall Windows but NOT have the OKR function?

2) Even if you've screwed up all your partitions and your OKR, wouldn't this still work?  It has the install.wim file that installs Windows and it has the instructions to recreate the partitions as they are on factory default.

3) Is the reason everyone wants to create a bootable OKR drive because they get both a factory Windows AND still have OKR in tact?

Thanks.

Since you have both, the usb okr recovery program and the windows usb recovery program I suggest you test them yourself in a BLANK hdd. Note: it should be BLANK.

I have done both but I believe if you do it yourself you will see the difference and will be able to answer those questions yourself.

Here is the link to the guide I made in making the USB OKR8 Recovery program (A DIY Project: Creating a bootable OKR 8 Recovery USB Flash Drive)

weregoingunion
Punch Card
Views: 2,373
Message 3 of 5

Thank you, LenBlazer.  I have read your guide, and I used it (along with other material) to create the usb stick I spoke of. 

I do NOT have a spare drive to copy to.  Most of the internals are filled, broken, or 20GB Smiley Wink 

Could you please just explain what happens with the Windows-created Recovery Disk? 

I do not see why it wouldn't work.  Microsoft was nice enough to include that option so that in the event that you need to re-install Windows, you can.  The "installation" succeeded so I'm guessing it will at LEAST put Windows back on there.  Is that not the case?

So broken OKR or not, will that USB stick reinstall Windows 8? 

Thanks.

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,361
Message 4 of 5

@weregoingunion wrote:

Thank you, LenBlazer.  I have read your guide, and I used it (along with other material) to create the usb stick I spoke of. 

I do NOT have a spare drive to copy to.  Most of the internals are filled, broken, or 20GB Smiley Wink 

Could you please just explain what happens with the Windows-created Recovery Disk? 

I do not see why it wouldn't work.  Microsoft was nice enough to include that option so that in the event that you need to re-install Windows, you can.  The "installation" succeeded so I'm guessing it will at LEAST put Windows back on there.  Is that not the case?

So broken OKR or not, will that USB stick reinstall Windows 8? 

Thanks.

The reason I suggested to test using a blank hdd is that the Windows Recovery Flash drive cannot be use for a clean installation. It needs an existing os (might be partially running) as a requirement. This is different from the OKR Recovery Flash drive which will work even if you have a blank hdd. It will recreate all the factory created partitions and restore or create the factory OS into the blank hdd.

The key here is clean install. For windows, you can't place the OS using recovery flash drive, refresh, or reset if the hdd is blank. You need an OEM or retail copy of the OS to install into the hdd. Which is why most would argue why do they have to buy the copy (OEM or Retail) when they already paid for it when they bought the unit.

weregoingunion
Punch Card
Views: 2,352
Message 5 of 5

Ok, that kind of makes sense...I guess this is true with any computer with Windows 8 and a "Recovery Drive" then.  It wants to see an existing copy. 

I was under the impression that the install.wim file was the entire Windows 8 image and the reason it was pulling that from the hidden partition to the recovery drive.

Oh well, took all the advice, backed up everything, and I've got my OKR key so I can go screw things up.  Actually I'm not messing with it all until I buy a m.2 SSD to copy the drive to.

I'm starting to think that a second 755m is a better purchase though.  Not only am I really irritated with what I discovered with Optimus and the lack of Nvidia Control Panel options, but I worry that it will get pulled from "the market" soon.

Thanks for the help.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors