Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Errandir
Paper Tape
Views: 8,666
Message 1 of 7

D: Partition Questions

Hi everyone, new guy here.

First off, sorry if this has been asked already. I looked around, and I see there's been a lot of discussion about the C: and D: drives, but I can't find exactly what I'm looking for.

Anyway, I have a new Y460, which is awesome. It came with a large C: drive containing Windows 7 + files, and a small D: drive with what looks like drivers on it. The thing is, I'm dual-booting with Ubuntu, and I'd like to use the D: drive as a separate partition to keep files and documents outside of either operating system. Now, from what I've seen here, it sounds like that used to be the defualt configuration for Lenovo machines. But I'd like to know, is it still possible to use the D: drive to keep files on? Or no, because it's got drivers on it now?

Retired Guru
Views: 8,651
Message 2 of 7

Re: D: Partition Questions

First, use OneKey Recovery to create a recovery disk set.

Then, you can change your disk schema.

Best regards.

IPnaSh
First Spanish Community Guru - Colaborador ad honorem

Lenovo
Errandir
Paper Tape
Views: 8,620
Message 3 of 7

Oh, I've already done all that - should have been more specific with the question, sorry. Basically, I wanted to know how important the driver files are. Can I delete them and use the D: partiton for other things? Or if they're important, would they still work if I moved them to another partition and used D: for documents?

Retired Guru
Views: 8,607
Message 4 of 7

As I know, the recovery disk set includes partition D also (drivers included, of course).

So, if you have doubts, backup all D drivers and that is.

Best regards.

IPnaSh

Lenovo
Errandir
Paper Tape
Views: 8,599
Message 5 of 7

IPnaSh, I appreciate the responses, but you're not really answering any of my questions.

I know backing up is a good idea. What I'm asking is, will it hurt my system if I delete the driver files stored on the D: partition? For example, will the computer no longer be able to use new hardware?

Also, if deleting them is a bad idea, can I move the files to another partition instead? And if I did that, would the computer still be able to use them?

Retired Guru
Views: 8,592
Message 6 of 7

They are drivers installers. The system don't use them because they comes preinstalled with OS.

Make a backup and then you can delete them.

IPnaSh

Lenovo
Errandir
Paper Tape
Views: 8,589
Message 7 of 7

Okay, that's all I wanted to know.

Thanks very much!
Top Kudoed Authors