cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
drenaud52
Fanfold Paper
Views: 632
Message 1 of 3

Data Recovery on Y570 with Express Cache... is it possible?

I have an IdeaPad Y570 (Windows 7) that does not boot due to corrupted files (cause unknown) and I am seeking a method  of recovering a few files that I had neglected to back up.

The laptop has a Hitachi 750Gb HDD and a Toshiba 64GB SSD. I had thought that the SSD was simply a boot drive but it seems that Express Cache was installed and the SSD is a cache for the HDD. From Windows Explorer, it appeared that I had a drive named "data mcdatagins" and another named "ssd". I thought these corresponded to different physical drives, but not so.

Attempts to recover files using a bootable CD (e.g. R-Studio) have failed, although some unwanted files are recoverable. The partition configuration is as follows.

Hitachi hard drive 698.64 GB
1. unnamed         654.58 GB primary - file system not detected
2. ssd                   29.30 GB logical - all user files visible
3. LENOVO_PART    14.75 GB primary - root, files visible (e.g. One Key directory)

Toshiba mSata SSD  59.63 GB
1. unnamed            200 MB primary - root,files visible
2. data mcdatagins  714.01 GB primary - few user files visible

If additional boot partitions should be there, they are not.

The files I want are on Toshiba partition 2. However this partition appears to be a cache for Hitachi partition 1. which looks to recovery software like unstructured bits. I assume that this is either because Hitachi 1 is truly scrambled or only Express Cache software can make sense of it.

Any suggestions on how to proceed? Would it be possible to make a bootable Windows 7 USB drive with Express Cache that could then read "data mcdatagins"?

drenaud52
Fanfold Paper
Views: 591
Message 2 of 3

Re: Data Recovery on Y570 with Express Cache... is it possible?

So the answer appears to be YES. My current understanding of Express Cache is that the HDD partition has an NTFS file system and the corresponding SSD partition/cache has a structure that is understood by Express Cache. So...

I attached a 1TB WD Elements USB3 drive to my Y570 and booted (via CD) Data Rescue PC3 by ProSoft. I directed the recovery software to scan the Hitachi drive. After about 3 hours, it reported that it had found over 300Gb of files that are recoverable. These are not in a directory structure, rather, they are organized by file type, such as .jpeg or .psd, and have names like 1003467.psd.  With a few clicks, I told it to copy all of this stuff to the USB3 drive. Then I can open the files of the type I need and see if I am lucky.

Vijay2
What's DOS?
Views: 444
Message 3 of 3

Re: Data Recovery on Y570 with Express Cache... is it possible?

Did this work? How successful was this in recovering data?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors