cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aspirecomptech
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,558
Message 1 of 7

Dear Lenovo Make a bigger battery for the Ideapad Y510/530/710/730 Line of laptops.

Hey just wanted to give my .02 on this.

I would love to see a 12 cell battery for this series of laptops.

Especially considering the power gulping nature of my particular y510 with the 8600GT and older 65W cpu.

So please, lenovo, do something right and sell a 12 cell battery for these laptops so I can play more than an hour of Left 4 Dead before it dies on me.

Otherwise, I may need to take matters into my own hands. ANd that probably won't end well

-___-

Sincerely, Andrew Makk

Proud Y510 Owner

Vile-Evil-Live
Punch Card
Location: Bath, Somerset, England/Cannes, Cote d'Azur, France/Tucson, AZ, USA
Views: 3,555
Message 2 of 7

Re: Dear Lenovo Make a bigger battery for the Ideapad Y510/530/710/730 Line of laptops.

I honestly think the best compromise, in terms of design/efficiency/practicality/cost, would be a 9 Cell for the Y530 and a 12 Cell for the Y730.
Afin d'accomplir quelque chose de neuf, on doit revenir à la source.
aspirecomptech
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,549
Message 3 of 7

Re: Dear Lenovo Make a bigger battery for the Ideapad Y510/530/710/730 Line of laptops.

Well the two laptops use the same battery so making a single new design would be cheaper in the end and seeing as I'm already carrying around a 6 lb laptop another half pound of cells aint gonna kill me.

Plus the added thickness will put the laptop up at a more ergonomic angle and aid in airflow to the cpu.

If there was a 16 cell I'd buy it. For me battery life is the single downfall of this laptop. And I'd love to be able to not have to worry about whether I will have access to a plug or not.

Vile-Evil-Live
Punch Card
Views: 3,522
Message 4 of 7

I honestly don't have an issue with the battery life for the capacity of the battery. On average, whilst using wifi, listening to music, browsing and using msn+aim i achieve 3:30hrs on Power Saver. I can squeeze 4hrs on Super Power Saver but with the limitation cap on the processing power @50% combined with the reduced graphic card output and wifi power, it really isn't worth it.

Since 9 Cells are more commonplace than 12 Cells I assume that it would be easier to produce them, and see no reason why is would require any additional thickness, considering Dell has that offering. My previous E1505 had a 9 Cell which only lasted about 2hrs, so I feel that if they could design a "hybrid" 9 Cell battery they could probably squeeze 5:30 hours out of it, which for a mid-size budget laptop is more than sufficient for the average user. Generalising that the Y730 is more of an enthusiast machine the market is there for 12/16 Cell batteries and additional thickness is acceptable.

The increased airflow, while always better, isn't really a dire need as I don't find the laptop scorching my leg or becoming very hot. Just as long as a standardised thicker battery isn't used I am fine, although a thicker battery and .5 lbs. difference isn't enormous, for someone such as myself who travels every three weeks or so it starts to become tedious after a while, and any saved weight and a standard size format are just "dandy" for me. Just my 2 cents though, not really one of those topics where there is a correct answer lol.

aspirecomptech
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,513
Message 5 of 7

Ah, but does your laptop have the Nvidia 8600GT card in it?

If I put screen brightness to lowest, go into super power save mode, and just browse the web, I'm lucky If I hit 2 hours.

If I'm playing an intensive 3d game we're talking on the order of less than an hour.

It really is impossible to compare the 2 laptops if yours does not have the discrete graphics chip.

Also if I'm gaming the laptop has gotten hot enough to the point where the left wrist wrest is uncomfortable to use if the room is not cold.

I've debated taking it apart and replacing the thermal paste on the cores with a higher performance desktop paste such as MX-2 or AS5 to see if it makes any difference.

In my experience this laptop is great but the battery life just kills me. Also I really don't think the heatsink and fan inside were designed to properly cool the 8600gt as I have had the laptop processor reach nearly 80C if I don't have it on a perfectly flat surface.

Vile-Evil-Live
Punch Card
Views: 3,489
Message 6 of 7

No I understand exactly what you're saying...My opinion was just based on the generalisation that the Y series crowd as a whole would most likely be using an integrated graphics solution. You are correct, there is no fair comparison, and that is exactly why I opted not to purchase a laptop with discreet graphics. Do you recall the first generation Dell 9100/XPS laptop line? I had one of those, with a Mobility Radeon 9800 and P4 Extreme Edition. Haha with the included 12-Cell battery, my battery life would top out at 2:00hrs if I was very nice...not to mentioned that it weighed 11lbs lol; not to mention the heat, if I ran it at 100% power I am positive I would be able to heat my house, pool and cook my supper. We certainly have come a long way from that disaster, and as you said, it certainly is feasible.

I was just wondering though if it wouldn't be best to just dedicate the Y710/730 line for desktop replacement/gaming, and have the dedicated graphics units available on that line. Then also dedicate higher capacity batteries, for instance they can have a 9 Cell as the minimum (pref. 12). I just think that there should be one clear direction for the models...and whilst I do like the Intel X4500MHD for the battery life, I wouldn't have minded a lower end Mobility Radeon, such as an X1300/1400 as an option. As it is I think that the Y530 is a perfect blend of everything, especially for the price (I have the Vistax64,320GB,4GB,wifi/bt,LED display); I paid $590 including tax and shipping.Lenovo is still learning this aspect of the market however, and so far I think they are doing a very decent job, so your idea may become a reality sooner then you think.

AndyC
Paper Tape
Views: 3,202
Message 7 of 7

i would still think a y730 would need at least a 9 cell battery

12 cell would definitely be useful but 9 cells could work for them all

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors