6 Signins

53 Page Views

• Views: 53
  • Message 1 of 5

Desktop background disappears leaving a grey grid

2017-12-05, 22:55 PM

Hello everyone,

I've been having trouble on my Y520 and U410 Lenovo laptops-

Coming back from reset or sometimes just during work, my desktop background image disappears almost entirely, leaving just of sliver of the image on top (Image attached). All of my drivers are up to date and pressing Windows+D or next desktop background does nothing.

Strangely, the only thing I've found that actually brings back the original image is inserting a disk on key and then ejecting it. When I eject- the background image comes back until the next restart or sleep.

This problem persists in both my Lenovo computers and I've seen it once before in someone else's Lenovo but never in other computers.

This is pretty annoying, does anybody have any ideas for me?

Thanks!

Options

2443 Posts

04-17-2014

US

3393 Signins

42005 Page Views

• Views: 42005
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: Desktop background disappears leaving a grey grid

2017-12-06, 0:40 AM

Try these steps...

1. Open Settings.
  2. Go to Ease of access -> Other Options.
  3. Make sure the switch Show Windows Background is set to on. If not, turn on this option.

Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate and brand advocate (Lenovo INsider). I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Please do not PM me for individual requests... please post to the forums instead :)

Lenovo Forums have transitioned to a new platform. The team is working hard to bring new features and make the forums better than it was before!

The 'Search' function is currently down. In the interim, please get help through browser searches.

Please ensure the option 'Subscribe me automatically to all discussions I have participated in' is enabled under your forum settings. That way, you'll be notified if anyone replies to your thread!

Options

4 Posts

12-05-2017

US

6 Signins

53 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

Re: Desktop background disappears leaving a grey grid

2017-12-09, 2:10 AM

Hi Eric,

The show windows background is on.

The background is usually there but sometimes disappears, leaving only a little bit of the background image on top (as in the attached image in my original post).

Options

1 Posts

06-18-2020

US

1 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 4 of 5

Re:Desktop background disappears leaving a grey grid

2020-06-18, 16:53 PM

Did you ever find out what cause this problem? 

Options

4 Posts

12-05-2017

US

6 Signins

53 Page Views

• Message 5 of 5

Re:Desktop background disappears leaving a grey grid

2020-06-18, 17:13 PM
No, I never found out what the problem was but at some point I reset both computers to a fresh windows installation and haven't had the problem since.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete